Sent 23 Morgans To CAC....The Results!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by keemao, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Although I have never had a coin that I wanted to submit to CAC, I definitely see the purpose those beans serve for high end coins. My only point is that we've all seen the wide variety of MS-63 - MS-64 Morgans. I have one in particular that is generously graded and I don't see how it would ever get a bean.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What I find curious is the Gold Bean, which I guess means more than 1 grade undervalued ?

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

At least one point undergraded. Could be one, could be 3.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

My understanding is that a green sticker is for coins that are essentially problem-free and that grade anywhere from the upper two-thirds of the assigned grade up to the lower half of the grade for the next grade up. Similarly, a gold sticker is for coins that are essentially problem-free and that grade at least in the upper half of the next grade up when compared to the assigned grade.

7. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

No. The average sticker rate is around 40%.

8. Coinchemistry 2012

If he submitted as a collector, he would only pay for the seven that stickered. When he sells, he will probably see increased prices that might offset the amount in its entirety.

9. Coinchemistry 2012

You are correct.

10. GoldFinger1969

Plus, it's EASIER to sell....he has the CAC and the COA that goes with it...anybody on the fence about the grade or authenticity now has 2 experts signing off on the coin.

11. Coinchemistry 2012

I don't think many would be concerned about authenticity; the coins are easy to authenticate and these dates and grade ranges are very rarely counterfeited.

12. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I have an account with CAC as a submitter. I am sending in all of my collection in batches with the idea that I may be selling some of them soon so the bean is just a way of possibly maximizing my return on some of them. The 1878s that were submitted were all ones I bought a number of years ago at different times from estate auctions around my area, sent in for grading myself, so I am glad those turned out well.

As for scrutinizing each coin before I send it to CAC, I imagine I could guess at which ones they will or will not bean but since it doesn't cost me but shipping and insurance, all of which I deduct from my taxes anyway, I might as well see what happens to them. I might get lucky and get some beans on a few that I might not think will.

What amazes me sometimes is an MS66 or 67 Morgan that I might send in doesn't get a bean even though it looks so much better than a 62 or 63. I would think those coins might fare better than the lower grades. But what do I know???

13. GoldFinger1969

How do you come to that conclusion ?

I'm not saying you are wrong, there is clearly more $$$ at stake in a higher-graded and/or rarer year/mint Morgan. But by the same token, if you can mass produce tens of thousands of a lower-graded, less-rare coin you attract less-experienced eyes and collectors and are more likely to pass it off than a 4 or 5-figure MSD.

People don't worry as much about a $50 - $150 coin as they do one costing 10x or 50x as much.

14. GoldFinger1969

As I understand it, the CAC bean is saying whether the coin is attractive to CAC/JA given the grade on the slab.

If your MS-66 is a middling 66 or even worse, an MS-65 that was generously graded, it won't bean. It would seem to me that gradeflation was more likely to happen to coins striving for high-60's numbers rather than low-60's numbers. Hence, all else equal, bean-ability :Dmight be higher for the population of lower-60's coins.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The TPGs do not discriminate, they over-grade across the board equally, right on down to the G grades :)

KSorbo, Coinchemistry 2012 and KurtS like this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

True....But if you go from MS-64 or MS-65 to MS-66 or MS-67...for many popular coins (MSDs, Saints) you get a bigger bang for your buck going up those grade levels than from MS-61 to MS-63, no ?

17. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

You are absolutely correct in that CAC is evaluating a coin based upon the TPG given grade. My experience is that while the MS/PR grade gets higher, the grade window gets smaller. The corollary to this is that it takes a more experienced or better eye to pick out choice coins as the grade gets higher since all the grading events are more tightly packed together.

18. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

7 out of 23 doesn't seem like a very good result, if you ask me. Post some pictures of the ones that passed, and post some pictures of the ones that didn't.

19. GDJMSP

Yeah, but that isn't what you said previously, at least it's certainly not what I understood you say when you said -

What that comment means to me is that you think it more likely for higher grade coins like 65, 66 and 67 to be over-graded, than it would be for lower grade coins like 61, 62, or 63 to be over-graded.

What my response meant was that that is not true at all. In other words there is an equal likelihood for a coin in any grade to be over-graded. That it doesn't matter if the coin is a G6 or an MS66 - it is just as likely that both were over-graded.

20. GDJMSP

No, but if the average is only 40%, then 30% isn't exactly bad either. There are bound to be some groups sent to CAC where less than that get the bean, and some where more get the bean.

To me the average is what really matters. It means 6 out of 10 coins do not pass muster at CAC. And that means that the TPGs over-grade a lot of coins, based on CAC standards.

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It doesn't necessarily mean they overgrade coins. CAC also rejects coins with surface problems, dipped coins, ugly coins, or coins they just don't like. These coins may all be perfectly acceptable in the market at the grade on the slab, they just don't meet CAC's highly variable and unknown standard (that is, "If JA likes it, he puts a sticker on it," to paraphrase Beyonce).

I'm also kind of surprised by the 40% ratio. Admittedly, I have not and probably will not submit anything to CAC. But I would assume that those who do would pre-screen their coins. This suggests three things to me:

1. People are overconfident in their coins. Ownership bias is real.

2. People are uneducated about their coins. They don't see the problems on the coins, and they don't know how to grade.

3. People don't know what JA is looking for. With the number of years and the number of coins out there, I would think this would be a little more clear, but its still a crapshoot.

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted