Featured Sensible Recycling? Byzantine Overstrikes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Caesar_Augustus, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Didn't even notice that. Cool! :)

Milesofwho likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

100% agree. It is fun. The reasoning is possible and impossible to prove. I will point out that a Gordian as and and A3 follis weigh the same.

I like Byzantine overstrikes but such coins exist from other periods, too. I find it helpful to rotate photos to show each orientation. This is Gallus FH3 (Siscia?) over Constantius II two captives from Aquileia. Note the let facing portrait is easier to see in the upper left image than in the lower right. By the time the horseman was reduced to the series with II in the reverse field, the middle size coin of the first FTR years was the right size.
    rx7205bb2887rot.jpg

Trajan Decius struck this antoninianus over a denarius of Geta. I have seen others of this period so I suspect there was a desire to double the face value of the coins.
    ro1290bb1659.jpg
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

That Trajan Decius overstrike is very subtle. Nice Catch @dougsmit.

Here's the new Heraclius coin in both orientations. I rotated it so you can see the eerie silhouette of Focas. It also seems like the legends from both designs mixed. I believe you can make out the "DN" of the Focas legend before it continues with the Heraclius ones.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted