sending coins in for grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Digenes, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

I have a general type question on sending coins in on grading. If I were to send a nickel into either PCGS or NGC for grading, do I have to specify FS or will they automaticly give it a FS grade if warranted?

Dave

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Both services will award the full step designation without request as long as the coin meets their standards. Beware, NGC and PCGS have different standards for full steps and grading in general for the Jefferson series. PCGS is almost a full grade tougher but much more lenient with the full step designation.

BTW, what year is the coin and what grade do you think it will reach? Do you have photos?

4. grizz

grizz numismatist

........some coins aren't worth the money to gamble the tpg will even slab it. sometimes it's better to shop for a coin already slabbed in the grade and designation that you are looking for. this way, if you aren't happy with the grade opinion you can at least return it where you bought it. this is not the case with a tpg after they 'examined' the coin you sent them. jmo

5. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

the exception is proofs and 65-67 SMS - no FS for these

6. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

As others have noted, if it is deserving they will both designate it.

One note is the PCGS now has an $8 handling charge so it cost's quite a bit if you only have one coin to submit. I think they got rid of the 5 coin minimum with this.

Not sure if NGC has a handling charge or minimum coins or not.

7. Digenes

Digenes Just a collector

I have a couple of 70's mint sets that I am looking at sending in. Need to check the nickels first to see if they are in fact FS before I bother to send them in.

Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted