Seminar on Selection and Use of a Magnifier

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by messydesk, Oct 19, 2017.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Magnifier selection and use comes up here and on other coin forums frequently enough that I have to wonder if a 45 minute seminar at a major show on "Selection and Use of Magnifiers" would be valuable and/or well attended. It seems like such a mundane skill, but my gut is telling me that a lot of people don't know what they need and don't know how to use it. Thoughts?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's an interesting thought, I went through quite a few magnifiers starting out, until I found an Edmunds scientific eye piece. It is somewhere around 4 to 6X power, but can be adjusted.
    It is very clear, and with out distortion.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I think it a fine idea, but can't help but to wonder if something like this would be more helpful and/or valuable if done online?

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Most seem to concentrate on magnification, but as, if not more, important is degree of flatness over the objective field and the mount of color diffraction. A triplet or apochromatic is more expensive but if one is dealing mainly with toned coins, it will give more accurate color registration than a achromatic doublet ( or heaven help a singlet simple magnifying glass as for reading). Some spend $ 50 on ebay for a suspected DD, but only wants to spend $10 on a magnifier.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yes and no. An online presentation would reach a lot of people, but wouldn't allow for Q&A or instructor-guided hands-on learning, trying out a few different devices. The feedback from an in-person seminar would also be valuable in making a good online version.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Excellent points I hadn't taken the time to consider; thank you. Perhaps doing both, as you seem to allude to, really would offer the best of both words (so to speak), but either way I do think it a fine idea any way we look at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted