[Semifinal-1] #10 Cucumbor vs #27 Severus Alexander (CIT 2018)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Sep 25, 2018.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Sep 28, 2018.
  1. Eye appeal (#10 Cucumbor)

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Best bargain (#10 Cucumbor)

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#10 Cucumbor)

39 vote(s)
    68.4%
  4. Eye appeal (#27 Severus Alexander)

49 vote(s)
    86.0%
  5. Best bargain (#27 Severus Alexander)

33 vote(s)
    57.9%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#27 Severus Alexander)

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Oooh, we have inspired controversy! Cool! :D I must say some words in defense of Ptolemaic hockey pucks, though... I fear they may have been unfairly slighted! :eek::D

@lrbguy, absolutely fair point that the voting in the bargain category isn't where it should be. I totally agree. On the other hand if you're suggesting that it should be a landslide in the opposite direction, I can't agree with that either, given past auction records. To my mind, the best bargain category should be judged by how much the coin cost compared to past sale prices of equivalent types (for market purposes), and especially examples of the same quality.

Now, it's somewhat open what "equivalent type" would mean here, but one way to be too general would be to include any 50+ g Ptolemaic hockey puck. To most collectors (including a generalist like me) the octobols are special. And while these are certainly more common than a Decius Divo series Aurelius, they are far from common! And in the same quality as mine, equally rare (partly because the strikes are usually so poor). Searching on acsearch for Svoronos types 412, 446, and 478, as well as "octobol" or "oktobol" (which seems to cover most if not all the series 4 octobols on acsearch, correct me if I'm wrong) there are very few at that quality level, and they all sold for $850+, not including fees; and in the last ten years there are none of equivalent quality for less than $1100, not including fees. (Similar to the $500 comp for Q's coin, there are also coins (b) and (d) in my writeup, which are good deals but a level below qualitywise... and still twice what I paid.)

Another relevant question is to what extent the eagle types count as comps for Q's coin. For many collectors, they wouldn't mind which one they had, and both are rare, though the altar type moreso; I'd say for market purposes the eagles are somewhat relevant. And a significantly nicer eagle type sold for $164 plus fees in 2014.

Add in the Dattari provenance, and I think that puts the octobol in the same ballpark as Q's coin bargainwise. (Sorry to go into depth on this, perhaps I'm even violating contest etiquette! :sorry: But valuing ancient coins is an interesting topic in itself & I felt it was worth posting, since nobody else did.)

This is my only complaint about the coin. :D Storing it is a huge pain since none of my usual methods (trays, flips in a box) work! :shifty:

And please note that my first round coin was an lrb. You know I love them! :shy: (And I don't think Roman collectors here are in the minority, or at a disadvantage; far from it. You didn't imply that, I'm just prompted to say it in response to your discussion with @Sallent.)

Roman Collector, Curtisimo and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I chose the best bargain on the highest quality coin. The mountainous glow from @Cucumbor coin was the determining factor. Just the hint of original surfaces set my vote.

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander thanks for fleshing out the details you brought up, especially the point about octobols versus paper weights. They help to give a better sense of balance. Appreciated.

Curtisimo and Severus Alexander like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still time to weigh in on this match up ladies and gentlemen!

Don't miss out on voting in one of the last matches of the tournament.

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Congrats @Severus Alexander !

I've recieved a puck in the head !!
    You have impeccable taste, and even the rarest coin in a most interesting series couldn't win against 100 grams of Zeus himself !

I will cheer for you in final round

Q

7. Severus Alexander

Thanks, Q! You are really trying to make me feel guilty with that photo, aren't you? ;)

Curtisimo and Cucumbor like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Q and Sev-- thanks for another great match!

9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I'm a little late on the announcement but it looks like we have our first finalist for the Imperatorial match up! Congrats SA!

Results
    @Cucumbor - 68
    @Severus Alexander - 102 Winner

Q came out on top in the interest category and had a strong showing on the bargain front but ultimately it was eye appeal that swung this match in favor of SA.

Don't feel too bad for our favorite Frenchman though. He is the only player to make the semifinals in both this year's and last year's tournaments! Well played 2 years and running my friend.

@Severus Alexander will face off against the winner of the @ancientcoinguru vs @Pavlos semifinal!

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great run, @Cucumbor! If I'm not wrong, we'll get to enjoy another match from you for the round that determines the third and fourth position. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll play.

Congrats, Sev, but you've got one more round left to go. Don't let the big win get to your, uh... big helmet. :D

00darthhelmet.gif

Curtisimo, TIF, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  11. Severus Alexander

Thanks, Z... truth be told, I feel lot more like Lord Dark Helmet than Lord Vader. But don't tell ancientcoinguru or Pavlos! :bucktooth:

Curtisimo, Ancient Aussie and zumbly like this.
  12. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Congrats Sev, looking forward to seeing another great coin from you in the final.

Curtisimo and Severus Alexander like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted