Semi Blank Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Claireishere, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Claireishere

Claireishere New Member

image.jpg image.jpg looked at the coin guide site on the fun time guide. So much great info listed however one last coin I’m trying to understand. On his site he said a coin may be an error if it has a reeded edge and still blank. However how would you determine that with a nickel? Also is there such a thing as a soft strike? I have a Nickel that I know has likely been sanded down. What should I look for to tell me that it has been sanded vs it being an error coin? Posting a pic if anyone could help educate me on this I would be grateful.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

someone was bored and sanded/ground that coin down. Maybe worth 3 1/2 cents now ???

Claireishere likes this.
  4. Claireishere

Claireishere New Member

Right I know it’s sanded but how can you tell?

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Believe me , we have seen many like it in the past 4 months here and elsewhere have seen about 10 coins just like it . Give me a metal grinder and I'll make several just like it . Ask the others "elders" who have been here longer . ;) Have a great day , cropped-letting-go-open-hands.jpg

6. Claireishere

Claireishere New Member

Again from the start I absolutely knew it was sanded based on other pics I’ve seen on here. I’m trying to educate myself on why You guys know it’s sanded.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Believe me , these fine people are top notched in Coins and errors . Also World an Ancient coins as well . Welcome home .

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

A coin can not be weakly struck on just one side. Weakly struck coins will usually show design features just in the middle and not at the edge.

Claireishere likes this.
  9. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The abrasive marks are clearly visible, especially on the high points. First thing I noticed indicating that it was ground down.

Claireishere and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The raised rim is created during the upsetting process of a Blank Planchet. Lack of the raised rim due to it being ground down (I know you know it's ground down) is evidence of alteration. Sometimes only the person who did it would know what tool or method was used. Unfortunately that person is not available to give us their method or to tell us why they did it.

Claireishere and SensibleSal66 like this.
  11. Claireishere

Claireishere New Member

Great info ty

12. Claireishere

Claireishere New Member

Thank you. I assume a lot of these we see have been in washing machines or some type of coin machine type thing more so than anything malicious. This info helps a lot. I don’t want to be the person asking the same question about the same type of coon repeatedly I wanted to be able to identify it myself and be able to explain why.

adelaide888 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted