Selling through Great Collections

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ilmcoins, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Has anyone Sold through greatcollections.com before? I am familiar with the company but I have never sent them any coins to sell for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yup. Highly recommend for both stale inventory and better stuff. Just send coins to them and they do the rest. Ian (the owner) is also a great guy and will answer any questions you may have. Give them a call tomorrow and ask for Ian.

The only thing I think I would suggest against selling there are non-uber varieties. Those are best put on eBay with a wait for the right guy approach.

ilmcoins likes this.
  4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have sold there. Typically classic U.S. coinage brings weak prices (such as Bust and Seated coinage), in my experience, but toners and more modern coins do better (e.g. Morgan's, Mercury Dimes, Walking Libs, etc.)

ilmcoins likes this.
  5. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I sent them a bunch of coins I had lost interest in, some slabbed some were raw. Overall, the process was real easy and the raw coins were graded cheaply. Their check was issued promptly. Prices realized were slightly weak, but the ease of the whole process made it worthwhile.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Hmmmm, interesting.
    I might try them when other options fail.

7. ilmcoins

Do you remember what the grading fees were?

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

+1 with CBD. Weak for classic coins especially for top notch ones. I would not send those there unless you just want to blow them out which you could probably just do with a dealer for cash at about the same price anyway.

World coins are generally weak there as well.

Also make sure they actually give a good picture of your coins. The pictures are better now than they used to be but in the past they had quite a few pictures that made great coins look like dogs.

I'd recommend eBay or David Lawrence auctions instead.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Yes, it's a great company to deal with buying or selling.

10. dwhiz

They are quick with a check when you sell.

11. baseball21

Not in my experience.

12. dwhiz

Sorry to hear that, I can only go by my experience with them.

13. baseball21

As can I. We all have our own experiences. Some will have positive experiences others will have negative ones like in my case which is why I will no longer use them

14. dwhiz

Sounds fair to me.

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I get checks in 1-2 weeks. Dont know why you're blasting GC. They're a great company with typically decent to very good results. Sellers fees are insanely low and you get paid quickly. You really can't beat them for most coin types. Don't know whats been going on with you baseball but it seems like you've been getting really negative about a lot of things for a few months now.

charlietig likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Red Socks been loosing.....

17. ilmcoins

On the BUYER side it is nice to hear this. If there is a weak audience in some areas (busts, etc) there might be some nice buying opportunities.

C-B-D likes this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You just have to wait for the no reserve auctions. 90% of them up there are listed for WAY too much, because the consignee gets to set the minimum bid.

19. baseball21

Nothing is going on with me.

Would you hypothetically keep doing business with a company that you had multiple issues with getting paid and a consignment not being listed for months on end without any grading being involved.

The GC fees are nothing special like you make them out to be. They're the same as David Lawrence (who I have nothing but positive things to say about) below 1k and higher than eBay overall. Like it or not their sale prices are weak at best in many classic areas and there are countless posts on multiple forums expressing displeasure with their final sale prices.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@baseball21 @Cascade , just start a new DC thread and you all can join forces against me again. LOL

charlietig and baseball21 like this.
  21. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Preface: I'm familiar with Great Collections, but never really looked at it before.

I've been looking for a nice 1893 Isabella quarter, and earlier this week there was (still is) a nicely toned MS-62 (PCGS) on ebay. It's a little more then I wanted to spend, so I've been mulling it over. Well, earlier today, I found and bought a (hopefully) nicely toned 1893 Isabella Quarter off ebay in MS-63 (NGC), for $349.99 shipped, which I believe is a very good price for one in 63. For my price research, I've been using an assortment, from ebay sold, gray sheet, coinsociety, Heritage archives, numismedia, to NGC/PCGS (which are always absurd), and felt I should jump on it, and I did.

Then I came across this thread, and decided to look at what they sold for there. Lo and behold, I find the coin I just bought! It sold (with BP) for $286. That was a steal! Now, should I be bummed that I paid $64 more then I could have a week ago? Or should I be happy that I found a new source for coins at great prices?

I'm happy. I even registered at GC!

So to the OP, thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling you've saved me tons of cash!

ilmcoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted