Selling off a hoard of circulated wheat cents

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Sep 17, 2018.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Since you've eliminated selling them online (which, I'm assuming, includes coin forums - although you're already a member of at least one so all it would entail was to create a BST post with one photo) these are your options as I see them:

Take them to a LCS. They will probably offer you 2x FV for them (mine pays 2x and sells at 5x.)

Local Flea Markets or gun shows here ALWAYS have coin buyers/sellers. These people will also probably offer you 2x FV.

Sell them on Craigslist. Someone will definitely offer you FV for them, and someone will definitely send you death threats for no apparent reason.

KMOX (local radio station) has a Saturday morning "Swap Shop" where you call in and tell people what you're selling. Not sure I'd want my phone number out over the radio waves, though.

Sell them on Facebook Marketplace (which will connect you with local coin collectors, as opposed to Facebook Coin Groups which are similar to CoinTalk.) There is the FB Marketplace (the general sales area that has absolutely no moderation nor technical support) and there are local yard sale groups (which are moderated and jerks are kicked out for bad behavior.)

You might also contact a local auction house to see what their fees are for selling them at an auction or estate sale. You can start the bid wherever you like. Sometimes people go CRAZY overbidding on absolute junk - I've seen someone bid $60-70 for a common date 1980's proof set because it was the only coin set at the auction. (I have no idea what they were thinking; some people just have more money than common sense.) If you have an old jar or canvas sack (some kind of older-looking container, not a Crown Royal bag) it might whet the bidders' appetites even more. Some places will only take a buyer's premium off the top and give you the full sales total, some will charge you and the buyer a fee.

OR

Find a consignor to sell them online for you.

If they are common wheat cents, I honestly wouldn't spend too much time "organizing" them (because they're basically priced on a consistent standard like junk silver only less valuable; IMO you're wasting your time sorting by date/mm if they're all common.)

JMHO

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I factored that in with my initial response.

Draft saved Draft deleted