Selling a Penny for $1.00

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MixtureNo79, May 31, 2018.

1. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I like this sellers statement.. quote - "As a general rule, Denver and San Francisco mints will be better quality because we are closer to them geographically, but not always." closed quote :wideyed:

never thought of it that way :hilarious:

MixtureNo79 and Rick Stachowski like this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

They do say the air different over there .

upload_2018-5-31_5-48-13.jpeg

MixtureNo79 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, at least it's a full red BU, right?

Technically, (and to my surprise) that's a $6.90 coin per Numismedia in MS64 RD (and $22.80 in MS65 RD), though I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who'd pay those prices in the real world. I wouldn't pay 99 cents for it, either, but as far as eBay listings go, that's not as insane as many I've seen.

Hypothetically, IF I were working on a Dansco album set of modern Lincolns and had trouble finding a nice 1977-D, I might pay the 99 cents, if there was no coin shop with tubes of 'em nearby. It is sometimes hard to find good cheapos on eBay, because the shipping takes a big bite, and sellers have to price accordingly. And this seller is paying the shipping.

(*I had this difficulty back when I was collecting Irish predecimal coins. Many of the more common dates had catalog values of only about $1.00 or so, but they were much harder to find online than the scarcer dates, and I sometimes had to pay $3.00 or so to fill a $1.00 hole in my album! Because few people were selling the cheapos at catalog value- the shipping was always a factor. Not to mention I had to order a few of them from Ireland!)

So I think this one is not quite so nuts as it might seem at first glance.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

He does offer free shipping, so that's at least $0.53 worth of value once you factor in the stamp and envelope.

MixtureNo79 likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

that penny was "previously sold" .. so was it a return ? LOL

Does he affix the stamp directly onto the coin to reduce overall shipping costs ? LOL

VT4Pac and MixtureNo79 like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No, you send your entire album to him and he inserts it and sends it back, or not. :troll::hilarious:

MixtureNo79 likes this.
  9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Don't forget all the fee's also. :)

MixtureNo79 likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I wonder how often he changes his geographical location, and why? (Cops after him? :) )

MixtureNo79 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. MixtureNo79

I see what you are saying, that this cent may be worth more if graded well, but I have to think this guy is just picking out random coins that look shiny and nice. More power to him/her if it works.

I like the idea if sticking a stamp on a penny. I guess you would stick the address on the other side - lol.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not if they wanted slabbed examples. You can't just buy a real nice raw 1977-D and then have it slabbed for those prices. You have to find someone that did a bulk submission to pay those prices for a slabbed one.

13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

If I come across a nice specimen that someone may need for their album I’ll put it on eBay for a dollar or two depending on the denomination. You would be surprised how many people buy coins for their albums like this.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  14. MixtureNo79

I kind of get what he is saying. But I think that would likely apply only to newly minted coins, not a 1977. For instance I live in Atlanta, and when I get change, I almost always get brand new Philadelphia minted coins. I get some "D"s but they are usually older coins.
    I also think that what he is saying in his eBay descriptions is probably duplicated on all of his coin sales no matter what they are (not worth customizing descriptions when you are only making pennies on each sale!)

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

No, I wouldn't, because as mentioned, I've done it before myself.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Folks used to list stuff like this just to build feedback. Don't think that's what this seller is doing.

Draft saved Draft deleted