Selling a coin collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dawghall, Feb 13, 2018.

1. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add to the sage advice above. My observation is that I really need to start thinning out what I have and only keep what I really like and move along the stuff not high on the list. No one in my family is interested in coins and I can see them just rotting in the attic after that fateful day arrives.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Diogenes, call your office.

4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I tried in a suttle
    Way.:D
    I'm probably too far away, but I could be a player on the silver.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. Jebocement

Jebocement Member

I agree with the advise you have been given about negotiating with any dealer's "fair offer." Be sure to QUESTION the offer. For example: I met with a dealer in Pensacola last week and asked him to assist me in having a gold coin graded. The man immediately told me he wouldn't suggest having the coin graded and stated he questioned its authenticity. He offered me melt down value for the coin. SURE!!!!! Who WOULDN'T want to purchase my rare Carson City 132 year verified gold coin for simple melt down value? Thank goodness I only listened to the dealer's offer and came straight home and researched more. A few weeks later I remembered about my former relationship with a trusted gold/diamond expert in immediate area and I met with him. He confirmed that my clichéd idea of "having a valuable coin" was correct. Today, we are sorting through all of my ungraded gold pieces and coming up with a plan to determine which ones to sell/trade, and which ones to send in to PCGS for grading. Sure, my local expert is making a percentage of the sale of my collection! He has a terrific motive for helping me receive the best value for the coins. Be sure to write back on this blog and tell us how you have progressed! :)

6. JayF

JayF Active Member

If you have them separated, at least research key dates and make some time to look through each denomination. Instead of taking less than face value for the lot, pay someone (maybe nieces/nephews) to sort through each container looking for important dates/varieties? Make it a family project or something.

OldFlyByNightUK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted