Seller selling counterfiet coins with no disclaimers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm in no condition to fight battles by reporting this company, so will pass the responsibility to someone else.
    Winktop.com is selling key date coins for $19.95 each, and listing them as being the correct size, and metal content, with no mention they are counterfeit. In fact, they go so far as to show a PCGS slabbed 1918 D Standing Liberty quarter and no disclaimer at all, and it the verification number checks as the correct coin.
    [​IMG]

Would someone here, with the energy I don't have, please report this company?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    PamR, David Betts, Tall Paul and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I wish the PCGS certification number on the coin I mentioned in a recent thread checked out. I paid a lot more than $19.95:-(

I hope that you are doing well!

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Dang. That is rather blatant. Hey Mountain Man! Good to see ya.

PamR, Timewarp, Spark1951 and 4 others like this.
  5. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

As an inexperienced collector, I find it amazing how so many coins and different types of coins could all be fake. Not having experience to judge for myself, this is troubling! Thanks for exposing this person!

PamR and lardan like this.
  6. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

It is always disheartening when I see this stuff.

7. JDcompy

JDcompy Chief Inspiration Officer

I see A LOT on Etsy/Temu/Shein.

Most of the time, they don't say fake/copy/reproduction. Sometimes they say it waaaaaay at the bottom of the description. It's a shame that so many people fall for it. But, if you don't keep up with "what coins cost" you wouldn't know.

SensibleSal66 and Dan Galbato like this.
  8. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Some of the silver is listed BELOW spot, smh. Also I see there's a review on one that gave 5 stars "coins look good but they are counterfeit". what the heck? and you gave them a 5 star review. Huge face palm

lardan and Dan Galbato like this.
  9. Dan Galbato

that’s what I’ve noticed! When I learn a coin was purchased for x amount of dollars I’m surprised usually. Not that it’s any of my business what someone pays, but it is a fact. Without doing coin shows, due to health reasons, my only source of values is to rely on what is the most unreliable source, fleabay!

PamR and lardan like this.
  10. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

If I have learned anything, always check with coin talk first. I have also learned that st times not always, reviews are not always legit! If a new seller has massive reviews, to me that’s one red flag. Just in todays world which I see it getting a tad more, let’s say, some taking advantage of people, just best to get opinions of many pros here, not me of course, but pros here on Coin Talk! Retail world is the retail world in any item as in designers etc, not just coins.

11. Randy Abercrombie

You GO girl!

lardan, PamR and Dan Galbato like this.
  12. Dan Galbato

yes Pam, this is where to come for answers! Some folks here are like walking encyclopedia’s!

lardan, PamR and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. PamR

Yes they are! :)

Dan Galbato likes this.
  14. PamR

:)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. Robert Bloomfield

Robert Bloomfield New Member

I just came across a 1894 O mint mark morgan dollar at an estate sale. How can i get it graded? Can i get it cleaned up?

16. Randy Abercrombie

Hi Robert. These old threads tend to not get much attention. Best to start a new one. Getting a coin graded is fairly simple. You can go to a local coin dealer and piggyback your submission with his. Or you can look up ICG Coins and submit with them. They have a simple process for grading and encapsulating coins. I would caution you not to clean it. Don't rub it. Just put it in a protective holder. If you choose ICG for your grading, they have a preservation option that only costs ten bucks.

lardan likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hi and welcome to CT. Best to start your own thread as Randy said. Your remark about cleaning it makes me wonder if it should be graded. Not all coins are worthy of grading. Since the fee is high you wouldn’t want to waste money on grading if the value is not there.
    Start a new thread and post full sized photos of both sides. We’ll be happy to assist you.

Randy Abercrombie, lardan and rte like this.
  18. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

@Randy Abercrombie is working hard on getting me to think I might send a coin into ICG for grading to see how it goes. Good advice from him and @Collecting Nut

Back to ICG. I think they are only a few miles to my house. I wonder if they will allow for me to just take it to them directly. I will call them if I decide to this, thanks Randy.

19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You might find this article interesting. Actually over a 100 years ago , many of U.S. coin presses were deemed outdated and some were given/taken in exchange/traded for metals,,,,such as gold and silver to the US. Some old dies were theoretically cancelled with damage ( deep strikes with tools) which probably led to
    fake coins with US appearance., The article is useful and deep searches into the internet does have other more recent photos of selling. I wasn't ever there in person.

https://www.coinbooks.org/v20/esylum_v20n28a27.html

Dan Galbato likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted