Seller recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GeorgeJoss, Apr 29, 2020.

1. GeorgeJoss

GeorgeJoss Member

Hello all hope everyone is well,

I’m looking for an Augustus to add to my collection of a staggering single coin, however I am unaware many of good places to hunt. Please drop me some suggestions. Somewhere UK based would be ideal as I’m an impatient sod, but this is not at all a essential. Alternatively if anyone is looking to let go of a gem let me know.
    Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

What sort of Augustus? He spent over a decade on coins as Caesar Octavianus, followed by four decades as Augustus. If you are going for cheapest possible Augustus, I would go for a Latin-inscribed Antioch bronze, which generally have good portraiture and don't command much premium until you get into the XF range. Spanish Colonias also make good cheap options, albeit with lesser quality portraiture. You can probably find a good deal on ebay without worrying about fakes too much - not many people fake unpopular provincial coins.

If you want something more pricey, nearly every Roma Numismatics auction has at least a half dozen Augustus denarii, and the Gaius & Lucius type usually goes for £150-200 in attractive grades. I believe they are still shipping locally within the UK.

Carl Wilmont and GeorgeJoss like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I picked up an As of Augsutus from JAZ Numimatics for $90 or so. If you are satisfied with a copper I am sure you can find something around that price. Denarii are going to be more expensive. I'm still looking for a good AEGYPTO CAPTA example.

Carl Wilmont and GeorgeJoss like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Look on VCoins for UK sellers. I've had very good experiences with London Ancient Coins. They have a large stock at a wide range of different prices.

6. GeorgeJoss

GeorgeJoss Member

Thank you for the help,
    A Gaius and Lucius type would be lovely but another type of nice detail and at a low price would trump that for me, I’ll have a look at the ones you mention

7. GeorgeJoss

GeorgeJoss Member

I used London Ancient Coins to get my first coin which I was very happy with, I did have a look at their Augustus’ but none caught my eye. I’ll have a broader look on Vcoins like you say, thanks for the help

DonnaML likes this.
  8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted