Seller Mis-Attribution

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, May 30, 2016.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've had this coin for a while (over a year ago to be more precise) and never questioned the seller's identification. Today, however, I was doing som house cleaning with my coins, I notice the attribution was totally wrong. The seller identified the reverse legend as "Victoria AVG" when in fact that is not even close. I guess this should teach me to double check the coins I buy, eh?
    Gordian III 10.jpg
    GORDIAN III
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right
    REVERSE: P M TR P II COS P P, Victory advancing left with wreath & palm
    Struck at Rome, 239 AD
    4.2g, 21mm
    RIC 19, RSC 199

cmezner, ancientone, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Is the misattribution in your favor, ie. a rarer type?

4. Bing

You know, I haven't any idea. I have not attempted to to find which of the two are more rare, but when I looked on acsearch, there seemed to be much fewer with the actual reverse then with the mis-attributed reverse.

cmezner likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm sure I have a few that may not be accurately attributed as well...

It's a very nice example and for what it may be worth, I noticed two similar grade examples listed on acsearch for $40-$60 hammer....about 50.00 shipped?

Edit: That of the corrected attribution.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

When I'm really paying attention, I find numerous misattributed coins-- not only on Vcoins and eBay but in major auctions. Most I notice are from Roman Egypt, but that's because I'm more familiar with them than most areas (and I have Emmett's book :)).

I also find numerous mistakes on my own website, particularly with the Roman Egyptians! Sometimes rather than typing the details for a new coin, I copy and paste the attribution for a similar coin and then make a few changes as necessary. Except sometimes I miss making some of those changes :oops:

7. Bing

I do that too often. Sometimes I'm just plain lazy. But I remember admonishing some of my subordinates for not paying attention to detail. I'll bet it's even worse today because of the internet which was still very young when I retired from the Army.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Bing

I paid just over half of that shipped.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I suspect 90% of the errors we see are from using copy and past or listing on sites that retain the information from the previous lot when you type in a new one. Time is money and many dealers care more about time than coins. I can't recall many 'special' Gordian ants other than some left facing busts. Catalogs list a slow quadriga reverse and a couple others which I have never seen but 99.9% of the ants I recall are the usual suspects.
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/gordian_III/RIC_0139.jpg

10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I've ran into many mis-attributed coins since I started focusing on the Roman Republic. I'd say maybe 10-20% of early Republican silver denarii(the Roma/dioscuri types) and maybe 35% of the bronzes I see are misattributed, even the ones with symbols. When a coin is misattributed(and priced accordingly) as a more common one, I usually jump on it and hope no one else notices. When a more common coin is attributed and priced as a scarcer one, I usually write the seller if they're someone I feel is honest and worth my time.

For instance, in the Roma auction that closed yesterday(which I of course didn't win a thing in), lot 326, a staff/feather denarius was misattributed as a rarer Sicilian corn-ear denarius. I wrote them regarding the mistake but it was the night before the auction's closing and it doesn't appear that they fixed the listing. It's an easy enough mistake to make unless you're familiar with the series and the style of the various mints, but I certainly wouldn't want to be in the buyer's shoes if he or she didn't realize the mistake.

Alegandron and chrsmat71 like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i copy and past as well, but i usually try and use more than more source to check for errors and to get all the info i want. things still slip by.

here's a gordian iii ant i picked recently, the seller didn't have the coin i purchased and gave me this as a replacement. not a bad looking coin.

[​IMG]

Gordian III, AR Antoninianus, 241 AD
    O: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG ,Radiate bust right, draped and cuirassed, R: PM TR P IIII COS II PP - Emperor standing right, holding a spear and a globe. Rome mint. 24 mm, 4.1g.

stevex6, zumbly, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I always double check attributions, regardless of the seller or the coin. Every once in a while a diamond in the rough is discovered!

Nice catch Bing!

red_spork likes this.
  13. Bing

It was partially my mistake and I let it ride for over a year before I discovered it (by accident). I was replacing 2x2 information cards. I should have caught it when it arrived. :facepalm:

David Atherton likes this.
  14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I've gotten 2 coins of Caligula that way :)

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Good eyes, brother ...

=> oh, and that's a pretty sweet OP Gordie-III (congrats)

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As an outsider in the field, I'm surprised that only 35% of the bronzes are wrong. I picked up two RR AE last month because I though I saw enough to ID them but failed on both even after online posting asking help. Considering the low grade of so many AE, I'd be surprised if half even could be IDed.
    4.26g
    ra0420fd3305.jpg
    5.21g
    ra0440fd3304.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted