Sell or trade, which works out best?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Everett Guy, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

I have sold a few coins but wonder if others do better with trades? I am trying to think which has more cons than pros.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I never trade . They do that a lot in Maine I hear . Just a thought . I'm sure there's some fair deals . It depends how much you want their coin or not .

Everett Guy likes this.
  4. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I'm the opposite, I always trade. IMO I can get better deals because, for example I won't be able to purchase coin A with the cash I get from selling coin B.

If you want the cash for something else it's a different story.

Everett Guy likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, when I am "upside-down" or "underwater" in a coin (i.e., when it's something I paid too much for), I know I'll have difficulty getting my purchase price back out of it if I try to sell. In those situations, a trade can work where a direct sale might not.

I'd usually rather have cash when I'm parting with something, but trades are good, too, and I have always enjoyed friendly swapping. So it's all good.

Over the decades, I have made many good friends through swapping, actually. It only works with people you trust, and once you have established that trust with someone, it gets much easier to do business with them.

Everett Guy likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I usually sell as there’s usually not a lot I want in trade. In other things I trade often especially in work and stuff

Everett Guy likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You're generally better off selling and then using the money on a new item. Its rare that the person/dealer who has the coin you want will be the most interested buyer of what you are trying to trade

Everett Guy likes this.
  8. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

both trade and selling have cons and pros just which one would work for you is the question, and are you willing to gamble on a trade or take the shot at selling

for me, I sell as the cash can be used for a rainy day or to deal with the unexpected, but I'm open to a trade if people want to go that route I can work with them on a trade

Everett Guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted