Self slabbing exonumia items - Quickslab or Everslab?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Sep 25, 2020.

?

What slab type would you use for Dan Carr medals / tokens?

1. Quickslab

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Everslab

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Something different (please identify in your response below)

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Folks,

I did the search, read most of the comments, but didn't see anyone who had been using these "long term."

My application is using something a bit more durable and protective for a lot of the DC pieces I am picking up. I probably won't be opening these often, but being able to access the token after the fact once in a blue moon might be nice.

Largely I just want them for better visibility, less unacceptability to damage, easier to do "show-n-tell" sessions, and not sonically sealed forever like a traditional TPG slab.

Which would you use? Quickslab or Everslab - or, something entirely different for the application?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience. I would also like your recommendation for "non-circular" objects like the Lesher / Clark Gruber octagons.

Z

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ZoidMeister

Calling @GDJMSP , @ddddd , @Chiefbullsit , @dwhiz , anyone else?

I think I do like the black / darker background than the white, but I am open to your experiences.

Z

ddddd likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'll vote Quickslab for being the most versatile option.
    Note: I haven't used it long-term, so I can't speak to that aspect.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why don't you ask @dcarr what he would recommend? He's a member, here.

~ Chris

ZoidMeister and Kentucky like this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You can buy assortments of PCCB and other brand self-slabs (non permanent) direct from China off eBay. Lots of 10, 20, 25, 50, 100 - you give them the count (4 @ 38mm, etc.)

7. ZoidMeister

Haven't seen him post here in a while, he ships most everything he makes, and I have an order with him that I'm sure he's working on at this moment. I wouldn't want him to stop.

The question was generic actually. Coins of any value would go in for grading and authentication.

I like Dan Carr's work enough to want to raise the bar on my long term storage and display of them. This would apply to just about any of my exonumia items that I really enjoy.

Z

8. ZoidMeister

BTW, are there any good options for items larger than 41mm? Say, 50mm to 55mm?

Z

9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I've used both PCCB and Leuchtturm self slabs for my Moonlight Mint goodies..

Edit to add- I have used Quickslabs as well. I found one hiding in my Leuchtturm box.

I'm not sure if anyone goes up to 50mm, I've only used 34 and 38mm.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I know some of these slabs are hard to open without damaging them. They are inexpensive, so maybe not a huge concern.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@ZoidMeister
    I've use several different slabs
    19 owl 4.jpg 2019 Appolo  me$ A1-horz.jpg

12. ZoidMeister

dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Usually just an ANACS special where it's only 10 bucks a coin with free shipping. Sometimes an ICG special. The cost difference isn't that much more than a self slab and they're actually sealed and better protected. There's almost always some special going on where they can be included

Chiefbullsit and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Personally, I would never ship a coin (and pay both ways) and then on top of that pay someone to put that coin in a slab - when I can do it myself for a tiny fraction of the cost. There are many options of slabs to choose from that you can buy yourself, and then put the coin in it yourself. And those slabs are just as good as any made by anybody else.

dwhiz and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. ZoidMeister

Resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having a hard time locating the PCCB style slabs in the sizes I am looking for. Can anyone recommend a username for someone they have successfully ordered from before? I am looking for about 8 different sizes and I think I prefer the white internal holders with the four fingers so you can easily see the edges. I also like the fact that their label area is a tad bit larger than the CoinWorld slabs.

If no sources are out there, I guess I could go with the CoinWorld across the board.

Thanks in advance.

Z

16. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I ordered my PCCB self slabs from a source in China. I'm not sure which one (if there is even choices that is) as it's cycled out of purchase history range in ebay and I believe direct from china is the only option. My coinworld slabs came from Lone-Star-Coin but I'm sure there's other sources.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. ZoidMeister

@dwhiz just sent me a link that looks promising. It's on ebay which I cannot get to from work. I was looking at it on my phone and I think it will meet my needs, although the pricing is a bit higher than most.

The issue I was finding is that each different size was listed by a different seller. I ain't playing that game.

As far as the CoinWorld slabs - Amos has the best pricing hands down, but they tend to run "out of stock" temporarily on the more popular sizes and items.

Now I need to find a storage box that holds the PCCB slabs. The CoinWorld does not

Z

18. ZoidMeister

OH YEAH, ONE MORE REQUEST!

Who has slabs available in the 42mm to 50/60mm range? I have ONE PCCB that I got from Dwhiz that is about 50mm, but I haven't seen any listed for sale that size anywhere.

Are there any other options? These are for larger sized bronze medals.

Z

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

ZoidMeister likes this.
  20. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There are some large size for sale on AliExpress.

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted