Seleukid Empire: Antiochos I Soter (281-261 BC), AR Tetradrachm, Seleukeia on the Tigris

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Amit Vyas, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Amit Vyas

Amit Vyas Well-Known Member

Seleukid Empire: Antiochos I Soter (281-261 BC), AR Tetradrachm, Seleukeia on the Tigris, SC 379.3c, ESM 155 (17.15 g, 27 mm)

Obverse: Diademed head right

Reverse: Apollo Delphios seated to left on omphalos, testing arrow and resting left hand on grounded bow; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ to right, ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ to left, AP monogram to outer left, monogram to outer right.
    7904665B-CB2E-46C0-8014-276C644E7120.jpeg

TheRed, Theodosius, DonnaML and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Very nice coin, love it, crisp and detailed....I need one for my Alexander group of Generals

Amit Vyas likes this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Amit, thats a beautiful Tet, @Mammothtooth ,Antiochos I Soter was never a general under Alexander the Great.

I think you need a Seleukos I Nikator:

P1210939 best.JPG

TheRed, Amit Vyas, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  5. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Antiochos I Ar Tetradrachm Seleukia on the Tigris 280-261 BC Obv head right diademed Rv, Apollo seated left SC 378/3 17.16 grms 26 mm Photo by W. Hansen XSKantiochosI-12.jpg What always amazes me about the portraits of this guy from this mint is how much he resembles the character "Odo" in the Star Trek franchise. c9a38b3f04b0ef92939dd696993abeec.jpg This does worry me some because I am waiting for the day that this guy image-20160610-29200-1i698fz.jpg Will start claiming that the Seleukids were space aliens.
    Planchet archives at: https://edmontoncoinclub.com/the-planchet/the-planchet-archived/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    TheRed, Theodosius, Amit Vyas and 4 others like this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...very nice coin...but i'm 'to tight for tets'...so i have a bronze one, featuring Athena and Dioscuri hats & club...:) pizza delivery   Antiochus l Theos coin 003.JPG pizza delivery   Antiochus l Theos coin 004.JPG

TheRed, Theodosius, Amit Vyas and 3 others like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coin, Amit Vyas —I’ve always found the facial expression of this king to be very interesting. I’m not sure if it’s a look of—extreme concern—or—what now?

Here’s my one and only coin from his reign.

Antiochus_I_Soter.jpg

8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Terence:
    Are you certain that is Antiochus I?
    The portrait seems like one of his successors....to my old eyes.
    Anyway, a splendid coin!!

Draft saved Draft deleted