Seleucus II Callinicus Tetradrachm: A Rare Portrait

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Magnus Maximus, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Hi everyone,
    I recently aquired a rare coin of Seleucus II Callinicus struck at Nisibis in the 230's. Now coins of Seleucus II are not rare by any stretch but what makes this coin so special is that it was struck at Antioch in Mygdonia(more commonly known as Nisibis) and it is the first recorded instance of a Seleucid King with a beard. Nisibis is an interesting choice for a mint at this time, it wasn't a very hellenized city nor was it stratigically important for the time. Coupled with the fact that most of the major mints were near stratigic choke points or regional capitals(ex Antioch, Seleucia, Ekbatana, Sardes, Phocea, Alexandria Troas), the choice of having a mint at Nisibis is an odd one.

From what @Pavlos and I could figure out, it seems that this mint was used to help pay for Seleucus II's disatrious Parthian campaign. The short beard on the portrait reminds me of the much latter soldier emperors of the 3rd century CE, so perhaps it's design was used to foster comraderie with the soldiers. What ever the reason, I do like the short bearded portrait!
    1547791_1605894977.l.jpg

And the coin in hand!
    0.jpg
    0.jpg

Seleukid Kingdom. Nisibis. Seleukos II Kallinikos 246-226 BC.
    Tetradrachm AR
    28 mm, 16,58 g
    Diademed head of Seleucus II right, with short, curly beard / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟ[Υ], Apollo standing left, testing arrow and resting elbow on tall tripod, dotted border; to inner left two monograms.
    very fine
    SC 749.2; WSM 819.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coin of Seleukos! I really like the short war beard and it is from a rare mint as well.

[​IMG]
    Seleukos II Kallinikos (246 - 225 B.C.) Denomination B (Double Unit), ‘ΔEΛ’ mint associated with Antioch.
    Obverse:
    Draped bust of Athena right in crested Corinthian helmet.
    Reverse: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ (“of King Seleukos”). Nike standing left, holding wreath and palm branch, monograms to inner left.
    Reference: SC 713.2; HGC 9, 323.
    8.03g; 18mm

Bing, Marsyas Mike, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Is "short war beard" a real term? I guess it makes sense not to want the enemy to pull your long beard! But it didn't seem to deter the Germanic tribes, etc.

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

It looks nice in hand :p.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ahaha...in that case, they should've worn crewcuts too(barring the helmet, of course:p)...>< ^^ that's a real kool koin @Magnus Maximus !...:)

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Terrific portrait on that OP. I have only a bronze, which is also a bit mysterious, apparently:

Seleucid - Seleukos II Neptune & Quad June 2019 (0).jpg

Seleucid
    Kingdom Æ 16
    Seleukos II Kallinikos
    (246-226 B.C.)
    Unknown Asian mint

Head of Poseidon right, crowned with kelp, trident behind / [BA]ΣIΛE[ΩΣ] [Σ]EΛEYK[OY]Nike in fast quadriga right.
    SC Ad28; HGC 9, 353 (R2)
    (4.51 grams / 16 x 14 mm)

"The second image is found on a bronze coin from an unattributed western mint which was probably coastal as the obverse image depicts of Poseidon crowned with kelp facing right with a tiny trident behind him. The reverse features Nike holding a wreath in a quadriga (Figure 125).99 This image has clear associations with a naval victory. The image of Poseidon was rare on Seleucid coins before Seleucus II and therefore must either be an image created for local concerns or commemorate a specific event, but the event remains unknown."

99 Houghton and Lorber 2002: no. 738. (p. 177)
    Kyle Glenn Erickson, The Early Seleucids, Their Gods and Their Coins

Johndakerftw and Magnus Maximus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted