Seleucid Kingdom (same coins, new background)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

This is my Seleucid collection and a little bit of the history of how I became interested in them. When I purchased my very first ancient coins which came in a boxed set, I was fascinated by the beautiful portrait on the Seleucid coin (upper left corner.) After I collected Judaean coins for a while, I decided to branch out and collect some of these Seleucids with their beautiful imagery of profiles, and elephants, and horses, etc. They still fascinate me although I have applied the brakes as far as collecting them is concerned. The Judaean boxed set is for reference. The coin in the upper left is the one that sparked my interest.

BOX.jpg

SELEUCID_COLLECTION_D_RAY.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    randygeki, Aidan_(), PeteB and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Nicely done and some good coins! Perhaps I could could persuade you to do some artwork for my Seleucid identification site :smuggrin:

Johndakerftw, Ryro and Deacon Ray like this.
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray, That's a great collection & wonderful presentation :D! And your Judaean set is always a treat to see :cool:.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Great new photo, Ray! I also really appreciate your sharing of what sparked your interest in these... TBH in looking at your collection, I'm getting more interested in them as well.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Great coins and I love the representation! The Seleukid kingdom is also one of my favorite collection focuses, so many variations in coins and each king has it's unique style.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

As always, boss presentation @Deacon Ray!
    It was after seeing that lovely lion on your Antiochos VII that I had to pick up this one. So it's an imitation of an imitation. That's meta:wideyed:

7C9D2C79-A813-49D8-95C9-1CEA1884E95A.jpeg

Antiochos VII Euergetes(Sidetes).
    138-129 BC. Æ (17mm, 6.35 g, 3h). Contemporary imitation. Uncertain mint, imitating Antioch. Lion's head right / Vertical club downward. SC 2073 (this coin referenced and illustrated); HGC 9, 1097. very fine

Deacon Ray, Jwt708, Bing and 4 others like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Great lookin' display from @Deacon Ray ...as usual!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Ae 35 of Antiochos IV 169-168 B.C. Obv.Head of Zeus Serapis right. Rv Eagle stg right Antioch Mint SC 1413 HGC 643 32.60 grms 34 mm. SKantiochosIV-5.jpg

10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Terence, That's another masterpiece from the Antioch Mint :jawdrop:! Portraiture of that quality is usually reserved for gold & silver, & rarely seen on bronze. What a shame we'll never know who the celator was who created this gem :(.....

11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Magnificent, as always, Deacon Ray!:woot:

I love the lion. I'll have to add it to my mile long wishlist lol.

I hope things are going awesome with your work. I know they are because you rock!:D:D

Erin

Draft saved Draft deleted