Seleucid Help?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, May 26, 2016.

1. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that I had some rogue Seleucid coins in my collection that I finally decided to investigate. Well, now I know why I had left them alone for as long as I did. I did check the BMC on line as well as Wildwinds and had no luck with either of these.

The first is a jugate portrait with a cornucopia reverse. The combination of the legends being just muddled enough as well as my unfamiliarity with these issues is keeping me from finding the appropriate ruler name and at least a BMC number. This coin measures 15mm and 3.05gr.

The second is a coin that I have tentatively attributed to one of the Alexanders. I know my pictures leave something to be desired, but hopefully you can see that on the reverse of the second coin, it appears to be a tripod design with legends inscribed vertically on either side of the tripod. On the one side it seems pretty clear that the word "BASILEWS" is evident. On the right side of the tripod it appears that the word
    "ALEXANDROU" is evident. But I could find no match for this coin either. The coin measures 19mm and weighs approximately 6gr.

Any help on these would be very welcome!

IMG_0164.jpg IMG_0165.jpg IMG_0353.jpg IMG_0354.jpg IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0356.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

The top one is:
    Phoenicia: Ptolemais-Ake
    Ox: Conjoined heads of the Dioskouroi rt
    Rx: Cornucopia.

4. nicholasz219

Well, Brian, thank you so much! No wonder I could not find it in the Seleucid sections!

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

geek 3.jpg geek 4.jpg

Philippi AE17
    Date: 356-345 BC
    Diameter: 17.9 mm
    Weight: 5.4 grams
    Obverse: Head of Herakles covered with lion's skin
    Reverse: Tripod

*edit*

.... hmmm, maybe not (now that I look at it, it ain't quite right, eh?)

6. nicholasz219

Thanks for the help so far, guys. Steve, it looks like the legend on the right side ends in an 'N' which if it was the same as my coin it would end in a Y. I agree though, that the portrait is very similar.

7. nicholasz219

The Y at the end is hard to see except when you turn the coin a few times. But the tail of the why blends into the exergue line under the tripod. I know it is hard to see in the pictures. I tried to take several and really couldn't capture it without blurring out other elements.

8. Brian Bucklan

stevex6 likes this.
  9. nicholasz219

Brian, thanks so much for your help!
    The best I can come up with attribution wise for the first is:
    Ake-Ptolemais, Phoenicia as Antioch Ptolemaides
    AE16 Dilepton
    Undated, time of Antiochus IV - VIII, 185 - 123BC
    O: NO LEGEND; Jugate, laureate busts of the Dioscuri, star above each head.
    R: ANTIOXEWN, right side; TWN EN PTOLEMAIDI, left side; Cornucopiae, E in outer left field.
    Rouvier 962

The writing is very crude on my example, but even the faint T under the cornucopia matches the Wildwinds example so I think it is as close as I am going to get.

The second one I would have never thought to look at Macedonia! I was searching and searching for Seleucid and seriously thought the name had an x in it when it was a double sigma. Thanks for all of your help!

10. Brian Bucklan

No problem at all. Glad to help.

11. nicholasz219

What is the proper label for the Phoenician coin? I see that it was issued in the time of Antiochus IV-VIII. Is it properly minted under the jurisdiction of the Seleucid kings? I am trying to look up some information now on my own.

12. nicholasz219

Okay, so I see that at this approximate time it would have been Seleucid hence the Antiochus name.

Draft saved Draft deleted