Seized Property Auctions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jess, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Jess

Jess Senior Member

The seized property auctions for coins/currency/tokens ended 28 Mar 04. What prices this auction realized. The only lot I bid on was for 30 different pool room tokens dated 1870-1890 @ a buck each, much to my surprize when the gavel went down the bid was at $465 bucks. Cheapest morgan I saw went for 73 bucks and an 1895-S in BU brought just a little over a hundred. There is no rhyme or reason to auction fever. You can view the web site by signing up and doing a confirmation email. Some auctions are free others have a 10% buyers premium. A2J Jess

www.seizedpropertyauctions.com

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

To each his own, but I won't buy anything seized by the feds or by any level of "law enforcement". To me it's receiving stolen property, regardless of the bogus cloak of legality they try to drape over it.

Think of where those coins came from. Realize that if you make a bureaucrat or cop angry your collection could be offered on an auction by the vultures running that site. The name is repulsive, "Federal Asset Recovery" my foot. Property seized from citizens who in most cases were never even charged with a crime are not "federal assets" which were "recovered." It's property taken by force from citizens in defiance of the supreme law of the land, the US Constitution.

An outfit that will use such weasel wording is very likely to also employ shill bidders. You may well be better off in that you didn't win anything in that auction.

4. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Jess, I find it funny that you mentioned that auction for I took a look at it for the first time and had some of the same thoughts you had. What a joke. I don't even believe that it was an auction of siezed property. I suspect it was a dealers way of using a website to sell his product in a way that people feel that they were going to get a steal of a deal. It's like in the city with buying something off the side, "it fell off the truck" but actually it was only surplus that the stores did a pass on.

Draft saved Draft deleted