Seized 1933 Double Eagles returned to owner

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by micbraun, Apr 17, 2015.

1. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

spirityoda and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on last auction of that 1933 Double Eagle. Now I'll be able to get one on sale.. LOL

I'm glad they got to keep them. Some branches of the government believe they are above the law and that they don't need to comply. I know it's a technicality, but in the end true justice will prevail.

micbraun and spirityoda like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm sure this ain't over till it's over........

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Suddenly it seems that the $7.2 million cost seems a bit high.

easj3699 and spirityoda like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ain't the first time someone got 'suckered' on a sure thing..........

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

11 coins , that should bring the price down . But like you said it's ain't over yet . Ken if they do get to keep them remember me at Christmas . ;)

green18 likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

As long as there are at least 12 people in the world willing and able to pay more than $7.2M, this will have no effect on the price. If anything, it might increase prices due to increased activity.

9. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Back to the Court of Appeals

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Amen brother all the hype ..... this is far from the finish line! And did anyone think about the government confiscation of them after a sale? I would not buy one if I had Warren Buffett money.

11. jtlee321

If the coins are awarded to the family. The government can not do anything to any future owners. Once they are declared legal property of said owner, they are legal to sell to anyone else. I'd have no worries about them being confiscated from me, if I was able to purchase one. And I would if I had Warren Buffet money.

12. Paddy54

I be very surprised if they get their hands on them in five years as the court system can keep them tied up and the lawyer's fees will eat up quite a bit of $$$$!
    Can you imagine the legal bills already? As well as court cost?
    Warren Buffett wouldn't . ...l that's why he has so much money. :)

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he doesn't already have a collection of great rarities. It seems like truly rare US coins (the 1933 double eagle, 1913 Liberty nickel, 1804 dollar, Pan Pac octagonal, etc.) have done incredibly well vs other investments.

14. jtlee321

@Paul M. True... But I'm sure he is probably okay with his little nest egg he's made. :cigar:;)

rzage and Paul M. like this.
  15. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

The round one, even more so!

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Even if I had the money, I wouldn't go after one. There is no telling how this would pan out and I'd be worried that the government would end up getting the coins ruled as stolen and want to seize them again.

17. Paddy54

Warren Buffett lives in a 3 bed room rancher, drives a very modest car. He not about the bling, his sister in Va. Has given away tons of money. She built schools, libraries , play grounds etc. This family could spend like a drunken sailor and still die with being in the top 10 riches families in the world.

18. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I was at the Salem Oregon show last year and Dave from Eugene Coin & Jewelry had 3 of these there, both types. I think he said he has 7 or 8 of them. First time I ever saw one, so the show was worth it for that alone.

19. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

You know one thing I don't understand is, when FDR made those '33 Eagles "illegal" to own due to the amount of gold and the denomination at the time, why didn't they ever make them "legal" again? I mean what's the difference between that and say a $50 Gold Buffalo of today?

20. George Corell

George Corell Member

I think in the end, the Langbords will prevail. I wrote in CoinWorld right after the decision that the judge got it wrong. Although the Court of Appeals ruled on different grounds, I feel their decision will hold.

At the heart of the issue it still remains that the government never proved the coins were stolen! All parties agreed that the mint records were complete and accurate. Both the bullion account and the cash account were in balance. Hence the government could not show the mint was missing anything! By whatever means the coins left the mint they did not leave in an unauthorized manner!

21. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Draft saved Draft deleted