Segs and Early Coppers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Fish, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Yeah, I've read a few Segs threads, and I know some people have a rather low opinion, and that others like them. What I'm wondering is if anyone has any feelings about how they do with grading early coppers?

There's a half cent I'm looking at purchasing, and the price is decent considering what it is. The details look right for the grade, the coloring, while not even, is not unattractive, and it's just all around tempting. The one and only Segs coin I have was a gift, and I think it's pretty well spot-on, but I must say I haven't had the opportunity to come across quite as many of them as I would like to form a solid opinion, especially with regards to how they do on the coppers.

So, hoping to hear from some of you about your copper-Segs experiences,

Fish

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Most of what I have seen, I didn't agree with the gradeThey seem to be quite good at grading nickels though. Do you happen to have a picture of the coin? If you think the grade is right, and the coin looks pleasing, by all means I would purchase the coin.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

If you think the coin is a grade X, then bid/offer grade X money for it, regardless of what grade SEGS (or PCGS for that matter) says about it.

In other words, buy the coin, not the plastic.

SEGS could be right - after all a broken clock is correct twice a day. :goofer:

5. glaciermi

glaciermi Senior Member

To be honest, I've found SEGS to be far more correct with full step Jefferson Head Nickels than either PCGS, or NGC. They elaborate well the true step count, and any nicks, ticks or bridges. I purchased a PCGS 1974-P FS nickel a while ago and it was news to me that 4+ steps was considered full.

To their credit (PCGS) apparantly now they are overly critical of nickels. After they paid the purchaser of the one and only 1968 (I believe) FS nickel $10,000 to erase it's existance. The coin was never full steps.

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If it looks right, you've answered your own question. If the coin was a raw coin offered for the same price, would you buy it? If you would, then it is probably okay to purchase.

7. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for validation, just first- or second-hand opinions from those of you who might have experience with Segs early coppers. After I check a delightful big, red book upstairs I'll likely end up buying it regardless. Then I'll show you all to the pictures. :goofer:

Fish

Draft saved Draft deleted