Segesta fake bronze offered in CNG eAuction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientnut, Jul 28, 2016.

1. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NOS likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's the same picture. Perhaps one image was saved and lost some resolution or otherwise had minor changes to the color, but both are CNG's auction images.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Nope. Bang on.

6. ancientnut

Yes, they are the same coin. Odysseus' blog lists the coin as being previously sold in CNG eAuction 367, lot 152 for $500 on a $150 estimate. Now it is being offered again. Time to shoot this coin down for good!

Pishpash likes this.
  7. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

If I ruled the world, I would make it a law, where a coin was absolutely confirmed that it was a fake, it would be returned to the consignor, stamped "fake". But maybe that is the red talking. Off to bed.

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Last night it was the beer for me. I'm not a big fan of wine, especially reds.

9. ancientnut

For what it's worth:
    I have concerns about the safety of "Odysseus". In a frightening PM on May 20, he told of the prevalence of forgery workshops throughout Europe and indicated that the manufacture of forgeries is an enormous industry generating millions of dollars annually. He confirmed hints in an earlier PM that several experts who publicly disclose forgeries have been threatened with violence against them and their families by criminal elements. He also gave examples of auction houses who deal intimately with known criminals.
    Odysseus posted actively to this forum until May 28 and to his blog numismaticfakes until June 22 and then he disappeared. I sent him a PM on June 20 and an email on July 3 asking if he was alright and I have received no replies.

10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

That is disturbing all around, sure hope he's fine.

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Oh great, and I just registered with CNG. Guess I got to check around first if I want to bid on anything really expensive.

12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

The auction house really can't do that. They don't own the coin; it remains the property of the consignor.

13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Odysseus mentioned in a post that a deeply stamped design like the reverse of this coin is a sign it was done using a hydraulic press.

Hope he is ok.

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Me too. I think we all do.

zumbly and Stevearino like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That sucks ... sadly, that's two fake hound-coins posted on this site recently!!

16. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

It has been withdrawn.

Alegandron likes this.
  17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Good to hear, still a bit weary when it comes to high dollar coins. I wonder what they do with the counterfeit coins after they pull them from auctions.

18. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Unfortunately not much they can do except send them back to consignors and(hopefully) add them to the various fake databases.

Volodya and Stevearino like this.
  19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Probably RETURN THEM TO THE CONSIGNER you might think.

20. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

We return them to the consignor. Realistically though, they sit on my desk for a few months. Returns are pretty much at the bottom of my to-do list.

Actually, it looks like I might be personally to blame for the reappearance of this lot. It was marked in our database as fake, but not on the coin ticket. I probably put it up in the wrong pile on my desk and kicked it back into a sale.

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Dude, I appreciate the fact that you are REAL! Thank you.

TIF, Pishpash and red_spork like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted