Seeking Spanish Cob Knowledge

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Randy Abercrombie, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I did send this kind gentleman my request. His response is below. And it only confirms all that @BlackBeard_Thatch had already enlightened me with. Here is Mister Sedwicks reply;

Nice! That is a Lima, Peru, cob 2 reales, struck in 1711-1727 under assayer M. The date would normally be visible at the bottom of each side of the coin, but unfortunately it shows on neither side on your coin. Without a visible date, it really only has jewelry value, about $50.

Value was not my interest. I suppose he just wanted to offer that. Doesn't matter to me if it were worth a nickel or a thousand bucks. This piece is staying with me!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

In my book on cobs, the "M" assayers for Lima are listed as "M= 1694-1695" and 1709-1728 assayer for the rare louis I cobs of 1726 & 1726. Also a principal assayer for gold cobs of the 1715 fleet.

The book I refer to is "The Practical book of cobs", 2nd edition, by Frank Sedwick ... maybe a relative of your responder?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

problem with the M assayer mark, during the period there were assayers with the 'M' mark at the Peru and Lima mint so there is no determining which mint it was struck at since its missing critical info. but you can figure out the whole period which in which they were minted, I wonder how Sedwick determined it to be 1711-1727 and a 2 reales coin since its so small.

5. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

If that coin could talk. Great story and please post more of your beach finds

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Size wise it looks like a 2 real piece.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sedwick the author and Sedwick the respondent are one and the same.

Great story. I must have missed it initially.

CircCam and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

@Randy Abercrombie is your flip really flexible and smell like plastic? If so the flip could be a pvc flip and can eventually cause damage to the coin.

9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

2 real piece according to the size of the quarter dollar

Draft saved Draft deleted