Seeking Information

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 2Old, Sep 1, 2015.

1. 2Old

2Old Active Member

I’m looking for more information on the BIE Mint Oddity Collector’s Guild. I would like to get in contact with anyone who was a member.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

here's the book:

BIE Handbook,
    By: Howard O Hardy, For The BIE Mint Collectors Guild, A Reference Guide For BIE Collectors
    [​IMG]

4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help you out, but I just could not resist on commenting on how comical your avatar looks. That is the funniest avatar I have ever seen! Ha, ha!!

5. 2Old

2Old Active Member

LOL, that's the image of the book I own, note the library tag. It's what got me started on the search for information on the Guild. It's my understanding that there was an earlier version. Dose anyone know if it used the Hardy index or did that start with the 1972 edition.

6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I bought BIEs from Gale Richardson member #69.

There is a CT member who was also a Guild member but I can't remember his screen name.

Also John Wexler-doubledieguy- was a member and was even working on a new BIE Guild handbook. But he abandoned the project.

Does your quest have something to do with the Gedko drawings?

7. longnine009

There was a brown hard cover version. There's a copy of it in the ANA Library.

8. 2Old

2Old Active Member

I'm working on a tribute to some of the pioneers in mint errors and varieties. There seems to be two in the LINCOLN Die Break "BIE" area. The main one was the "BIE Mint Oddity Collector's Guild". The second is Jean Cohen's "THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE LINCOLN CENT". These seem to be the first to assign some type of a index/catalog number to LINCOLN Die Breaks. I'm looking to find out more about this. Also if there were others.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  9. 2Old

2Old Active Member

The ANA Library in Colorado Springs?

10. longnine009

11. longnine009

I don't think there were any other BIE references except the BIE GUILD handbook and Jean Cohen's book. There were two editions 1967 and 1969 for Cohen.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Do you mean the NLG?

That could be me.
    :)

13. longnine009

No there is a former BIE Guild Member here besides John Wexler. I just can't remember his name.

14. 2Old

2Old Active Member

Thanks, I emailed John.

I live in the Springs "Colorado Springs" so I'll drive over and take a look at the Hard copy. My understanding is that only 1,000 of these were published.

15. longnine009

They also have Jean Cohen's book. Or at least they did. Both of those books I borrowed in 1999.

Draft saved Draft deleted