Seeking info

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AkCoinCouple, Jun 24, 2019.

1. AkCoinCouple

AkCoinCouple New Member

We are seeking info on what appears to be a roman coin. My apologies as we are new to this and help on identifying this coin would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I think it's a young Marcus Aurelius as Caesar during the reign of Antoninus Pius.

Kind of looks a bit like a cast to me though, so I'd like to know how much it weighs and if we can see better images, including edge shots of the rim.

You should be able to attribute the coin here: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/marcus_aurelius/i.html

Still, surfaces look odd to me. Hopefully someone can shed better light on this coin. Better photos will help with that, and weight too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    AkCoinCouple likes this.
  4. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

4791261.m.jpg
    Supposed to be a sestertius of Marcus Aurelius as Caesar, reference number RIC 1348Aa. See above for an example. However your coin doesn't look like a sestertius. Weight and diameter will help.

galba68 and AkCoinCouple like this.
  5. AkCoinCouple

AkCoinCouple New Member

I don't have a scale at the moment however I can upload side shots. I can get a weight on it tomorrow.
    Wow thank you so much for this great information!

Attached Files:

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That photo of the edge is helpful because I can see the size of the coin relative to your fingers. I'm guessing it's about 11 g and 26 mm in diameter, making it an as (a denomination equivalent to 1/4 a sestertius) or dupondius (1/2 sestertius); the difference is that an as was made of copper and a dupondius was made of orichalcum (a brass-like alloy). The patina makes it difficult to tell which metal it was made of. A weight of 13 mm would suggest a dupondius.

It dates from AD 158/9. Its obverse inscription reads AVRELIVS CAES ANTON AVG PII F and its reverse inscription reads TR POT XIII COS II S C and features Spes, advancing left, holding flower in right hand and lifting drapery of skirt with left hand.

References: RIC 1350; BMCRE 2087.

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I believe @Roman Collector has the correct attribution. Where did you manage to get this coin?

AkCoinCouple likes this.
  8. AkCoinCouple

AkCoinCouple New Member

@Roman Collector
    @ancient coin hunter
    Thank you for more information, I feel so lost in this. Its a really awesome coin.
    My husband's Father gave it to him as a gift with other old coins a long time ago. We are trying to find answers about some of these coins and this one was very challenging.
    I happened to stumble across this site.
    I am still going to get a weight on it soon.
    Thank you all so much!!!

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

You'll find this site very useful. I stumbled across it in 2017 while I was trying to attribute some late roman bronzes from one of those "uncleaned hoards" and have never looked back.

AkCoinCouple likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted