Seeking Help with Unknown Greek AE #1

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Dec 13, 2020.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

After collecting Roman Imperial coins for the past 15-20 years, I've decided to delve into Greek coins. Over the course of this year I have won over 100 Greek AEs in bulk lots, none of them with IDs. I have been slowly working my way through them, IDing and labeling the easiest ones first and, as I gain more knowledge of the topic, moving on to the increasingly difficult/obscure ones. It has been a very rewarding adventure, and I have learned a lot. Many of these coins go into my new Greek collection. Some of them, duplicates mostly, I sell on eBay to reduce my overall costs of putting together the collection.

I am now down to 10 coins that have left me completely stumped after months of fruitless searches, so I am turning to the wonderful, knowledgeable experts on Coin Talk for help. (How's that for buttering everyone up?) Over the next few weeks I will start posting these and asking for possible IDs.

Some of these coins may wind up for sale on eBay, depending on whether or not I already have something representative of that issuing authority in my new collection. I know some members object to people asking for advice about coins and then going on and selling them on eBay, so I just want to make this explicit before asking for IDs. Please just ignore my posts if this upsets you.

I am going to start with two coins that I just photographed today. Here's the first:
    Unknown.jpg
    Bronze, 16 mm, 2.7g.
    Obv: Helmeted Athena (?) facing right
    Rev: (Laurel?) wreath encircling standing figure (Athena?), facing right, holding spear or javelin over right shoulder with right hand and unknown object--any ideas--in left.

Any advice? Tips? Guesses?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

That's it! Thank you, shanxi.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted