Seeing this scam a lot more...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sshafer11, Mar 27, 2015.

1. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You'd have to be nuts to bid on that one........

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Man that one doesn't even have anything nice in it. Just a bunch of wheaties and junk silver. That gold coin looks like a copy. I think I just found out how to pay for college..... Couple of these and my tuition is paid ;)

5. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

It is both genius... and incredibly sad. Mostly sad how easily sellers get away with this in our hobby because of how many uneducated buyers there are.

billy b and JPeace$ like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Scam artists will usually be found around the coin hobby. Why? Because we're too easygoing! We need to call these jerks out, INCLUDING home shopping channels, PUBLICLY AND OPENLY, and stop letting people hide behind "it's just business". Business is business and scams are scams. We tolerate too many scam artists! And no, darn it, it's NOT the ANA's job, it's ALL of ours.

VoiceOver commentary:

And with that, Kurt marched out to his utility shed, in search of that old pitchfork and some oily rags to wrap around a broomstick.

dlhill132, Mikey Zee, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That would be because, well, that's exactly what it is.

8. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

As the saying goes, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Tinpot likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The fact that there are so many scams in this hobby has only to do with one thing: money. It does not matter what we do or tolerate, or even if "we" were somehow able to stop these people as there will always be someone else willing to take their place. The only reason these scams work is because of the rampant stupidity present in this hobby. Case in point: this very listing, which is online and therefore means those bidding have internet access, yet instead of googling an apparent gold coin they must know nothing about (the date alone tells the story), they throw thier money at it, surely in the hopes of getting a "deal". As the old saying goes, "you can't fix stupid", so really all we can do short of somehow removing the venue as a purchasing option (which, of course, isn't going to happen), is to try to educate those who both search it out and are willing to listen.

10. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

It also amazes me that there are some people that I still meet insisting the presidential gold coins are made out of real gold. No matter how much you tell them they are not real, I've still met those who insist it's real gold and hoard them like crazy. Even after telling them the composition of the coin.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  11. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Member

How coincidental that all the so called "choice" coins are on the outside of the jar. It would be easy to turn the tables on these scam artist. Buy a jar, file a buyers protection with PayPal, get your money back and return the jar to the seller minus half the junk silver that was in it. :cigar:

12. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

That kind of action is probably the only way to get them out of the market. I don't understand how You could feel bad stealing from a thief.

13. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

In all honesty, the coin auction doesn't say anything but, "a jar full of coins." This is more "bidiots" than it is a scam.

14. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

1849 $20 gold xD there's only 1 of those

spirityoda likes this.
  15. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

These bidders are just morons, I don't see how anyone with two brain cells left to rub together could bid on this one. Uneducated or not, anyone with a smidgen of common sense should know to stay away from this.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    JPeace$ and spirityoda like this.
  16. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

What??? If you think this scammer is playing by the rules, think again. He/she says coins and copies of coins are not coins.

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Gee, should I retract my bid?

19. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Seller is doing nothing wrong.

20. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It's not personal, it's just business.
    business.jpg

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make a stupid horse drink.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted