See the babysitting tip.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by calcol, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I'm not that old..:p

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just wait. ;)

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah but the power! The prestige! The.... wait.... :D

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I'll tip ya for a like, Doug...

just sayin'

6. thebeav

thebeav Lifer

Those are beautiful coins and a great story.....
    My favorite coin 'tip' came to me in 1979. I had gone on a house call. There were many Whitman books. A kitchen full.....Walkers, Washingtons, Roosevelts, Barbers, Morgans and Peace.....Many full, the ones you could expect to be full. My evaluation took hours and hours. I finally came up with a number, and it was the winning number, as I knew that he had shopped. He was happy to hear this number, and awarded me the collection.
    I began packing the books into cardboard boxes that he had provided and he left the room. Soon, he came back with a little plastic box. He went on to say, " This is my favorite coin", a raw 1806 Heraldic half (well, everything was raw in 1979). "This was given to me by"... and the story continued. He said, " I used to imagine Napoleon may have held this coin, maybe Lafayette". His face was so sincere while he was talking, so real..I remember thinking, "This is what numismatics is all about." He finished his story and handed me the box, "It's yours now" , he said. I tried to back-pedal and I said the things you would say, but there was no escaping. He gave me that coin.
    It's been put away for years, and I haven't seen it in a long time, but I know it's there. I was just a kid, but this guy was up there. I know he's long in the ground by now, but I think of him often.
    After all, isn't that what numismatics is all about ?

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Doug is fishing for some gold coins:

"Will moderate for Guilders"

mikenoodle likes this.
  8. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

A neat story. If you can find the coin, it would be really nice if you could take a pic and post it.

Cal

9. thebeav

thebeav Lifer

Hi Cal,
    Glad you liked the story. I know exactly where this half is. It isn't easy to get to so it may be some time before I see it again. It's one of those things that isn't for sale, so it doesn't need to be at my fingertips. Gee whiz, now that I think of it, I probably haven't seen it in 30 years. I really should make an effort.
    Paul

Draft saved Draft deleted