Security Features

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by clayirving, Jan 22, 2011.

1. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I posted a new Series 2006 $5.00 FRN in the "New Acquisitions" thread, and it made me think about the security features introduces in this Series.

[​IMG]

"555" Watermark

[​IMG]

"5" Watermark

[​IMG]

Embedded plastic security strip glows blue under ultraviolet light

[​IMG]

Microlettering on the border

[​IMG]

Microlettering on the eagle's shield

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

This is excellent! Thanks for the pics highlighting the features!

These are back lit photos not scans right?

Did you have any trouble scanning?

4. Zeplyn

Zeplyn Dry Ink Seldom Smears

I concur with Krispy. I never knew this either. Very informative.
    Thank you.

5. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

The first two images are back lit - The note was in a currency sleeve and I lightly taped the sleeve to a window and used a camera on a tripod to take the photos.

For the next image, I used a UV light and camera while I was sitting on the floor in a dark closet.

The last two are cropped scans at 1200 DPI.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Great thread !! it really goes to show you the multitude of security features these notes
    Really have :0

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

8. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Everyone seems to enjoy the thread, so let's look at security features for another note. Series 1996 $50 Federal Reserve Notes have a complete redesign after almost 70 years of small size notes. The notes have a new enlarged portrait of U. S. Grant with a watermark of the portrait to the right of the Treasury Seal:

[​IMG]

The image above also shows the number "50" printed in dichroic ink (dichroic ink causes visible light to be split up into distinct beams of different wavelengths and colors) on the lower right side of the note, and the plastic security strip that glows yellow under UV light:

[​IMG]

Micro-letters are used at the base of the portrait and in the borders of the note:

[​IMG]

9. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

With all the security features that are in place in modern notes, it's still surprising how many counterfeits are still successfully passed. Micro printing, watermarks, UV strips etc. mean nothing to the average Joe. If it looks like a real banknote and feels like a real banknote and there's no obvious reason to think otherwise, people will accept it and pass it.

In the past year, my restaurant has had almost a dozen counterfeit notes accepted because they passed the most rudimentary tests.... look and feel (mainly the look). As a collector, I spotted them right away. I had to show my staff why they weren't real and I'm sure most of them still didn't understand. Until the day the bank says to them that the hundred dollar bill that they are trying to deposit isn't worth anything, is the day they will begin to take note. Until then, they couldn't care less. And I'm sure the majority of the public is the same.

There will be counterfeits until they decide to stop making notes (and coins) and switch to credit/debit cards only. And then that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

10. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Before we move on to old bills let me highlight a security feature that is rarely discussed:

All of the new US currency ($5, $10, $20, $50) have a "Eurion constellation" on them. It is a mathematical arrangement of objects that creates a design that is recognized by color copiers, and can be found in the pool of tiny yellow numbers on the $5 (the tiny "05" that are repeated a bunch of times and arranged in what appears as a random arrangement of numbers).

As far as why some notes don't scan, I don't know. But the constellation is why color copiers (the new ones at least) will prevent you from copying the notes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

It's not an "official" security feature, I mean I don't know if the US government decided to make that arrangement with this purpose in mind, but it is a security feature that in one way tries to discourage counterfeiting.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

A couple of running threads that are in concert with the theme of this thread and your post:

Scanner Stopped Scanning Paper Money! Why?

EURion Project: Barriers to Studying Modern Paper Money

12. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

Awesome Post! Thanks!

13. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

This is one of the most informative posts I have seen in a while. It really makes you think about everything that is put into these notes to deter counterfeiting. I never looked THAT closely to them, but now will be able to have an informative discussion with others regarding it. thanks so much!

14. krispy

krispy krispy

It's fantastic to see these images as presented to us by Clay in this thread.

Also, I will remind readers that The Department of Treasury - Bureau of Engraving and Printing has an informational web site New Money.gov devoted to educating the public about currency, new security features and how to look for these things to authenticate notes. There are a number of brochures, posters, and online interactive resources on the web site for each denomination. Just select the denomination to view the note's features from the lower right side column of the page linked to above.

15. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

I have the same information for the Series 1996 $20 Federal Reserve Note. The watermark and dichroic ink on the left side of the note:

[​IMG]

Micro-lettering at the base of the portrait:

[​IMG]

Plastic security strip:

[​IMG]

Security strip glows green under UV light:

[​IMG]

16. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Wow, these notes just keep getting cooler!

Draft saved Draft deleted