SECRET SATURNALIA 2021!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

My Saturnalia parcel went to the post office this morning and now is on its way across the pond. I hope it will arrive in time!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I checked the tracking number on the Secret Saturnalia gift I sent & it was delivered to the recipient's mail box two days ago :jawdrop:! Hopefully the recipient has found it, & if so, send me a PM acknowledgement :happy:.

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Alrighty, my gift is in the mail and on it's way to the Great White North! Hopefully it can make it to Canada in 3 weeks!
    And to reiterate, it would be greatly appreciated for folks to put in this thread that they received their gifts upon receipt. :)

5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I just bought my SS' gift!

Curtisimo and Theodosius like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

LESS THAN 3 WEEKS!!!! :eek: And it's on a Friday -- Faustina Friday!!

Curtisimo, Ryro and Theodosius like this.
  7. Al Kowsky

I just received a USPS notice that a package will be delivered in two days from NASHVILLE, TN, could it be a Secret Saturnalia gift o_O?
    Emoji_Round_1_Newmie+Truck.png
    I'll be watching the mail box closely Wednesday morning :happy:.
    binoculars-smiley.png

8. Al Kowsky

This morning my walk to the mail box revealed a pleasant surprise, my Secret Saturnalia Surprise arrived a day earlier than scheduled :D! This year my gift was a handsome billon nummus of Maximinus II Daia, from Victor Clark :happy:. I didn't have an example of this coin type, so it's a welcome addition to my collection ;). Thank you very much Victor.
    S.S. slab insert.JPG
    Secret Saturnalia 2021 (2).jpg

The coin is an excellent strike on a well-centered flan. It has very little wear, & what has been labeled as "deposits" is actually die rust, especially on the reverse. Rust spots on a die will reveal relief spots that look like deposits. The coin was struck AD 308-9, when Maximinus was Caesar. The obverse inscription reads: GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB C. The reverse depicts Mars or Virtus in military attire holding a shield & trophy. The inscription reads: VIRTVTI EXERCITVS, & the Greek letter Delta in the left field, indicating Officina #4, in exergue MKV.

I have only two other coins of Maximinus, one struck as Caesar & the other as Augustus, both have the more common reverse of Genius holding a cornucopia.

2420232-004, AK Collection.jpg

Maximinus II Daia.jpg
    Maximinus as Augustus, AD 310-313, London Mint. AE Nummus: 4.28 gm, 22 mm, 7 h. RIC 209b.
    Notice how the size & weight of this coin has shrunk :eek:. By the time this coin was struck there was no measurable silver left in the coin :(. The coin has very little circulation wear, but both dies were heavily worn.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This is the last day to sign up my friends. Tomorrow I will assign the final round of match-ups.

10. Alex22

Alex22 Active Member

Fingers crossed as my gift is crossing the pond.

Orielensis and Curtisimo like this.
  11. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

You're welcome, but I was merely the dealer in this situation, not your secret Saturnalia gifter.

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  12. Al Kowsky

There was no note or letter in the envelope, & your address was on the envelope. So who paid for the gift o_O?

CREATIVECRHUNTER and Aidan_() like this.
  13. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I was not sure of the protocol, so I didn't include an invoice; but I have talked with the person in PM and he is aware of this thread.

In hindsight, I realize I should have put a note that the coin was not from me, to avoid any confusion.

Theodosius and RupertP like this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My SS gift has been dropped off at the post office and is on its way to a warmer sunnier home :)

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Got my Secret Saturn package in the mail today :). Hopefully it will arrive early next week-- I'll be tracking it regularly.

16. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

This is fun to watch as a spectator this year.

I'm looking forward to all of the unveilings and sharing of the gifts given to one another.

Next year I might be able to participate in the excitement. Learning how it works, this year.

Cucumbor likes this.
  17. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

My SS recipient has received their gift! And I must say that my research, I believe, has payed off!

18. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I didn't participate this year because I was worried how I'd possibly find an interesting coin for most of the members here. My knowledge (what little I have) is focused on Hellenistic coins between 360-260 BCE.

I would have gone bonkers had I received someone who focuses on Roman coins, and the majority of collectors here are in that space.

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Mine arrived today, will be waiting till Dec. 17 to open.:)

My SS gift was sent yesterday.

IMG_0357 (1).jpg

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I hear you. Sometimes I don't participate of just that reason (plus other life stressors). Took a gamble this year and drew the perfect (for me) recipient so I had a great time choosing coins :).

21. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Bummed out I missed participating this year :banghead:

I’ll be looking forward to the reveals.

-d

Draft saved Draft deleted