SECRET SATURNALIA 2021!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Merry Christmas and Io Saturnalia!
    My Secret Saturn gifted me a very cool hemidrachm of Vespasian from Caesarea-Eusebia in Cappadocia. @Sulla80 posted a very helpful thread on these that allowed me to confirm that my type is a local issue and was not struck at the Rome mint. That works out well since I did not have a coin from this mint. :D My Saturn also sent me a very nice note with the coin. Thank you very much to my Secret Saturn, whoever you are. :):):)

60E49108-DC59-4C00-9486-CF47C0883429.jpeg
    Cappadocia, Caesarea-Eusebia,
    Vespasian (AD 69-79)
    AR Hemidrachm, Caesarea mint, struck AD 77/78
    Dia.: 16 mm, 12h
    Wt.: 1.6 g
    Obv.: AYTOKP KAICAP OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBA, Laureate head right
    Rev.: Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm frond
    Ref.: RPC II 1659; Metcalf 17

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

And the awesomeness just keeps coming.
    A BIG thank you to @ominus1 for my Saturnal-Xmas surprise.
    Not an ancient, but a very cool disappearing Athena with a trident.
    Admittedly, I had to look up scotch and soda, hold the soda please;) to figure it out, but a very cooool:cool: way to get free drinks at the bar.
    2 coins:
    20211224_224659.jpg

And now 1!
    20211224_224618.jpg
    :woot::woot::woot:=
    200-9.gif

Thanks old buddy. To you and yours a very merry Christmas:)

GinoLR, Shea19, Spaniard and 8 others like this.
  4. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Received this very nice silvered Probus antoninianus along with a nice "Happy Saturnalia" note. Its always great when they take the time to write/type one :). I was also able to figure out the identity of my Secret Saturn. I'm not sure if they care, but like I've done in past years I will keep the identity anonymous. Thanks Secret Saturn!

Probus, Roman Empire
    AE antoninianus
    Obv: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: CLEMENTIA TEMP, emperor standing right with sceptre, receiving Victory from Jupiter standing left with sceptre, H between, XXI below
    Mint: Antioch
    Date: 276-282 AD
    Ref: RIC V-2 922

probusvk(2).jpg

Voldemort, GinoLR, Shea19 and 12 others like this.
  5. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

Voldemort, GinoLR, Shea19 and 11 others like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Sorry for being a few days late. I waited until Christmas to open my present.

My Saturn certainly must have known about my interest in large provincials and architectural reverses, as I got this incredible piece of Philip I from Zeugma!

I didn't have my normal magnifying loupe to shoot through, but after enough fiddling around with settings I got a decent shot.
    IMG_2917.jpg
    This coin is provenanced to a Spanish auction from 2019:
    https://www.biddr.com/auctions/ibercoin/browse?a=598&l=616417

I think it looks much better in-hand than the auction photo.

I will likely do a full writeup on this coin shortly. The reverse is rather impressive, with a rare depiction of the entire temple complex and not just the facade. This helps us learn a bit more about how some of these temples looked like in real life; more than a building they were often full-on complexes with all sorts of fun stuff in front. This will be a fun project to try to make an artistic recreation one day.

Despite the minute engraving on the

I also received a rather fun info sheet with 10 cool facts about Saturnalia, none of which I knew before.
    IMG_2919.jpg

Thank you!

7. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

My camera situation has been solved, so here are my Saturnalia gifts in full glory. I very much like all three coins!

1. A beautiful Faustina:
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-04 um 20.56.37.png

2. The "tiny owl" quadrans:
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-04 um 20.59.10.png

3.Who doesn't like a a coin that says "mega" on the obverse?
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-04 um 20.57.34.png

Once more, thank you so much!

8. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

My Santa was really thoughtful in their gift to me. First coin. 95FB74DE-6C02-4FF6-8A26-72EF6CCDCE96.jpeg 04AACC8D-A9D5-4DEB-A040-1F7CC9AC6543.jpeg This next coin which is a denarius of Julia Domna is a fantastic coin! I really love the details on it and my favorite part is the peacock standing next to Juno’s foot.
    0D6B49C1-4965-47EA-BA1E-132F335C875B.jpeg 57FBCCED-77D1-4FD8-BD89-05A0E630C182.jpeg Thank you Santa for the amazing gifts! I will cherish these for many many years to come!

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    SS must have been very busy lately since my gift arrived yesterday, more than three weeks after it's been posted from Colorado :)

It's a very interesting Porcius Festus prutah, something I don't know anything about until now : a new field to dive in and explore.

Although they wrote a nice message, my SS remains mysterious, and I have no clue about who they might be.

I will post a pic as soon as I get a chance to photographying it properly

Thank you Secret Santa !!

Q

10. Cucumbor

Hi, it's me again

Here's the Porcius Festus prutah sent by my generous Secret Santa

Prutah-s.jpg

Q

Spaniard, Ryro, Theodosius and 8 others like this.
  11. Alex22

Alex22 Active Member

Saturnalia continues! And here is the precious gift from my Saturn. The package had the misfortune of spending Saturnalia, Christmas and New Year at the UK customs, but I was able to pick it up on 8th of January. Sorry for the late posting here. Of course, I did notify my Saturn, who contacted earlier to let me know that the Gods did not forget me this year. Unfortunately, I have next been caught in the midst of application shortlisting at the uni, which prevented me from properly welcoming the coins to my collection and posting here. Below is a quick peek, as they transition into their new outfits. Thank you so very much @Curtisimo for the heartwarming, chunky and diverse set of three precious coins that I will cherish for years to come!
    IMG_2344.jpg

12. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Due to my fog brained mistake of giving an old address to John Anthony, this coin travelled from France to the United States, back to France and then back to the US and just arrived a few days ago. When it was realized that the first coin would not arrive my secret Saturnalia sent another coin to the same incorrect address. Both letters were finally returned to him around mid March at which time he asked me if the address was correct. He then sent it again with the correct address. Thank you to @Cucumbor for sending this wonderful coin and his patience for dealing with my gaffe.

jovian.jpg
    Jovian AE1, 28mm. Thessalonica. DN IOVIANVS PF PP AVG, laurel and rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA ROMANORVM, emperor standing facing in military attire, head right, holding labarum and Victory on globe. Mintmark dot TESA dot.

13. Cucumbor

I'm relieved it finally reached destination : happy (belated) Saturnalia @ancientone

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted