Secret Saturnalia 2019

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I'm quite anxious for what I sent to arrive at destination, because of the long way and a lack of confidence in postal services (any of them).

I check everyday my giftee's posts to see if they mention having received something in the mail. So far they didn't....

Q

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    bcuda, Curtisimo, dadams and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

My gifts arrived today and I am extremely happy with what one of you legends have given me. Going to be looking a few of them up for more info and taking pictures soon but won't be posting them till the 17th :)

4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I have received mine, and will be sending mine out shortly (luckily, it does not have far to go...)

Curtisimo and dadams like this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Package mailed today, IO SATURNALIA!

bcuda, Curtisimo and dadams like this.
  6. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Package arrived today from Secret Saturn by way of Warren / Augustus coins. Now the waiting begins.

7. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Mine came today. Merci. I'm very interested to see what is inside? No worries, I'll wait :happy:.
    HB
    image.jpg

8. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

It is, a gem mint solid gold Augustus or Caligula coin?
    Julius Caesar, Ides of March, w/ a dagger?
    Of course I'm joking :greedy::dead::happy:. I will 100% appreciate whatever it is.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

My Secret Saturnalia arrived in last nights mail. I'm so tempted to open, but I will wait to the big reveal on the 17th.
    [​IMG]

TheRed, bcuda, Kasia and 7 others like this.
  10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Mine arrived today. The envelope feels a little hefty, so I'm going to guess it's probably a 3rd Century provincial or sestertius, most likely from the era of the Crisis of the Third Century. We shall see on the 17th when I get to peak inside and see how close I am to my prediction.

11. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Mine has also now arrived, and it's in a surprisingly heavy package...very curious to see what it is, but I'll do my best to try and wait until the 17th to open. Io Saturnalia!

12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Mailman left a package today! I opened it to reveal a sealed envelope marked “Io Saturnalia!” Very exciting! The 17th is right around the corner! I’ll wait until then to it.

Curtisimo, furryfrog02 and bcuda like this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yeah, I feel like this kid:

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Only 5 more days. Looking forward to seeing what everyone opens. I am wondering though, has anyone opened their gift but just not posted...? :)

Roman Collector and Curtisimo like this.
  15. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

Eagerly awaiting my gift!!!!

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, it’s tempting to open it tomorrow night and be able to enjoy the weekend with the new coin(s) :D . Thought of opening it in almost in the middle of a busy workweek (at least for me) feels odd for some reason. I can still wait a few more days though, no problem :)

Curtisimo, FitzNigel and furryfrog02 like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Mine arrived (sent to an intermediary) and I should have it soon :). Looking forward to the 17th!

After much hassle and exhaustion, I've now moved back to the States-- arrived Wednesday. Trying to get caught up on CT now. Looking forward to having a little more time for coins in the upcoming weeks!!

Io Saturnalia, y'all :D

18. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Hi @TIF . Is that true you had a little problem with your moving truck ?

EBB723B4-1C48-4D3A-87DA-8A75C70F168F.jpeg

Nathan401, Justin Lee, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Not quite :D

I did however get to visit my coins yesterday for the first time since July. Wow, I have a bunch of awesome coins! :D :D Seeing them in person is much better than looking at pictures. Also, absence makes the heart grow fonder :).

Knowing I'd have other "must put in carry-on bag" items for the actual move, I flew the coins to Texas in and put them in a SDB this summer. Flying with my entire collection was nerve-wracking since the last leg was on a small plane requiring roll-aboards to be checked at the gate. I certainly wasn't going to let the coins out of my sight! I had smaller sturdy bags inside the roll-aboard and when I reached that gate I switched everything out so I could fit the smaller but heavy coin bags in the plane's cabin.

I was a little worried that something might happen during the security check, such as an uninformed agent thinking it was illegal to have the coins or to transport them to the States. The roll-aboard which was completely full of coins in boxes wasn't given extra screening but my "personal item" duffel was searched because they didn't know what the one box with round things was. LOL!

On this one-way trip I had yet another extremely heavy bag, mostly the dregs of my family's US junk silver hoard, plus silver (and a little gold) shot for jewelry-making. Also in the heavy bag was a bunch of hand-made jewelry jumbled up into small bags. The whole thing was very dense and of course triggered a bag check.

The one-way trip took two days because there are no longer any routes which make the trip in one day. I had to overnight in Dallas, meaning I had to retrieve my horribly heavy bags, get to hotel, and then do the whole security thing again the next morning. Each time the carry-on received extra screening, which I had them do in private. The agents were marveling at the contents. In St. Thomas, the marveling was of a surprising nature: the agents wondered aloud why anyone would want the old coins (old/worn US silver coins). "I'd just spend them". OMG! :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    ycon, Bayern, Ryro and 15 others like this.
  20. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I can’t wait to see what everyone gets!

You guys have a lot more self discipline than I do!

me, the moment it arrives:

EEF64549-66AB-4A52-9ABE-11435B70B849.gif

Erin

21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Last Saturnalia I forgot to open my package for 4 months. So waiting another week is kinda not a big deal.

Its a shame I waited so long though, because there was a sweet Elagabalus provincial inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted