Secret Saturnalia 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I don't know about them but...
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What??
    [​IMG]
    Oh, you thought that I ment:eek:

4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My gifts were received, and I’ll do posts on the BIG DAY. My recipients gift just got here, and it’s really cool. It’ll go out this week.

Caesar_Augustus and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

My recipients finally came in the mail today. I was happy to see it in my mailbox tonight after work. Now all I have to do is get it packaged. Will be in the mail before Friday with hopes it can cover a lot of land and cross the ocean all before the 17th.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I heard a knock on the door and it was the postman. He handed me a device with a stylus hanging from a coiled wire for signing my name. I could see that he had an envelope in his hand that appeared to be an international package. My first thought was that it was a coin from Israel even though I had not placed such an order in over a year. It all became perfectly clear after I viewed the return address which was in the United Kingdom. It was a gift from my Secret Saturnalia Santa. Now I must wait :(—but only until the 17th :singing:

SECRET_SATURNALIA.jpg

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I love the Dark Side forum. :)

8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I should be able to send mine out tomorrow (forgot stamps). Sorry excited!

Ryro and Deacon Ray like this.
  9. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

PM Sent with link for you to read the journal article "Triobols of Megalopolis" (anyone who wants the link shoot me a PM) Pegasi Numismatics sold a large bunch of coins from the "Charles Reeve Collection"
    Here is one of mine from his collection:
    [​IMG]
    ROMAN EGYPT. Tacitus, 275-276 AD. Potin Tetradrachm (8.12 gm), yr. 1. Laureate cuirassed bust / Elpis advancing holding flower. Köln.3118. aXF, brown patina. ex Charles Reeve active 1890-1930.
    In further news, I received a package from Singapore today!! I think I might know who this one is from - @zumbly ? How many other members do we have here living in Singapore? Guess I'll have to content myself in reading more about the "Ancient Festival of Saturnalia" and the other few papers which were in the main envelope since the coins are sealed up. Perhaps something from Roman Egypt and Thessaly if I read the papers correctly :woot:

[​IMG]

Finally, I received the coin for my giftee from a numismatic dealer in Canada today so it will be going out shortly.

Exciting!!!!

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Your not-so-Secret Saturn is relieved to hear that you've received your gift... I hope you'll enjoy the coins! I always hold my breath when I send packages abroad as I've had a few go missing before, but I see that the postal gods have decided not to be capricious this time. :happy: Here's hoping they'll act likewise for all the packages be sent out across the globe for our little CT Saturnalia gift exchange!

11. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

@zumbly, Knowing that you were probably somewhat anxious to know it arrived is one of the reasons I wanted to make sure I posted it had been received. I promise I won't peek at the coins until the 17th, but I am excited to see what my not-so-Secret Saturn has brought. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me soon. All best, Doug

lordmarcovan, Deacon Ray and zumbly like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Saturnalia won't be so secret this year, on my end. My recipient and I have known each other for 25 years, so I knew any attempt at secrecy was likely to be futile.

Furthermore, since he's gone full time as a professional dealer, I knew I had little hope of finding a coin that would impress him, on my paltry budget. Which leaves books, but he's got a huge library and I wouldn't have the savvy to know what to get in the book department.

However, I think he'll enjoy this set of 1880 William Mackenzie engravings, since they depict both ancient and medieval coins, which we share an interest in.

The secret's out, since I had watchlisted a couple of different items, and had narrowed it down to three choices. So I opted to let him pick among those final selections rather than risk giving something he wasn't that crazy about.

He chose these four 19th century engravings instead of a single 17th century engraving which showed one coin. (I also had a French jeton watchlisted for him.)

Good choice, I think. They'll look nice in either his home library or his shop.

They're in transit from the UK now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Deacon Ray

I share your feelings, @lordmarcovan ! It's a challenge to find a gift for an ancients collector who has years of experience and an awesome collection already. Thinking outside of the box as you did is definitely the best course. The classic prints that you have purchased is a superb gift choice. Those will be surely beautify an ancient collector's "man cave" or "femme den."

WELL_DONE.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  14. lordmarcovan

And oh, what a man cave he has. I am properly green with envy every time i visit, as alas, I have no man cave of my own. :(

Before long I hope to at least have a nice big rolltop desk in one corner of the bedroom I can close off to keep cats and other humans out of.

My own workspace. 'Tis my New Year's wish for myself.

Your medieval meme made my morning. :)

15. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

In the mail as of today, has a very long journey ahead of it. Here's to hope it makes it in time for the festive kick off.
    "ALL HAIL SATURN" umm Saturnalia

Deacon Ray likes this.
  16. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

17. Deacon Ray

Excellent video! :woot::singing::hilarious: Hilarious!

dadams likes this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That is awesome. It took me a minute to realize why it ended when it did...

dadams likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Indeed. Hilariously awesome. I'm now trying to figure out the reference to the seemingly short ending.

20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I wanted to let my Santa know my package has arrived and is safe. Now to wait!

21. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

The package from my Secret Saturnalia has arrived.

Draft saved Draft deleted