Secret Saturnalia 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My travels have made it tricky to post, but I finally have a chance to properly thank my not-so-secret Saturn, @Bing. I had a bit of a suspicion that Bing might be the one when he sent me a pm not too long after the Secret Saturn thing got started this year, and just happened to mention offhand: "BTW, do you have an on-line catalog for your own personal coins? I've been asking several of the CT family just so I can look through everyone's collections. I know we all have our favorite coins and favorite eras. Mine seems to be both the firsts centuries BC and AD."

Pretty stealthy, eh? :D In other words, what the heck is it exactly that you collect, anyway?! I sympathize. I'm sure it must be frustrating to get assigned a generalist like myself. What do you get?!

In any case Bing came through with flying colours by sending me a sestertius of my namesake (only this quickie phone photo right now, which doesn't do the coin justice, it is just lovely):
    Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 6.15.38 PM.jpg
    Severus Alexander (222-235), AE Sestertius, issued 223. Obv: IMP CAES M AVR SEV ALEXANDER AVG. Rev: PONT MAX TR P II COS P P, Pax seated left, holding branch and sceptre. RIC 402.

It's impossible to go wrong in getting me an SA coin, and this one is appealing to me for two reasons. First, I love the young, second-year portrait style and this one is particularly elegant. Second, the coin illustrates the early stages of sestertii being issued with a squared-off flan, something I don't have an example of until much later.

So thank you so much, Bing!! You totally nailed it!! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Darn, and hear I thought I was being so sneaky. I DO hope you like it. You are rather hard to read as far as your collection. I really wanted to find a Dupondius, but the Sestertius was what I found. Anyway, happy Saturnalia and Happy New Year my friend.

4. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Well, as the saying goes " Better late than never "
    Firstly, my apologies to my Secret Saturnalia partner for taking so long to post.
    My 2018 didn't end well and I have only just started to get back to some form of normality.
    I waited until New Years day to open my gift ( also my b'day ) & was most pleased to find 2 coins :woot: already with full I.D

A Favstina Sr Denarius
    IMG_5166.JPG

& a Provincial of her daughter from Hadrianopolis
    IMG_5165.JPG

Many thanks to ( James from Denver ) who's identity still remains unknown for making 2019 start with a smile :D

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Wow, nice coins!

Great portrait on the Faustina.

John

Curtisimo and Roman Collector like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Sorry you have had a rough go. I hope things are better.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I
    I feel you!

8. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I finally received the gift from my secret Saturn (not so secret anymore, but it's all cool! :)). I was so happy to open it and find a coin that is the 2nd in a new series which I have begun to collect. The probus EQVITI series from Ticinum. I have already thanked my Saturn, but, once again, I would like to thank you, Saturn, for this very thoughtful gift. :D
    [​IMG]

Here's my other one from the series. :)
    [​IMG]

Four more to go! :)
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted