Secret Santa 2017 Sign-up

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kirkuleez, Oct 28, 2017.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Thanks, Mike. All things considered, it would seem to go to reason that this is the case, but all we can do is speculate.

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

At least we know that these are no longer a threat to the hobby and all the concern is gone

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

What did I miss?

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I took it as a gag gift, and I'm 99.9% sure who gave it to me. Who knows if my Santa wanted to piss me off or just give a playful jab? I decided to take it as the latter. But honestly, if my Santa gave it so that I'd "have to keep it as part of my collection"..... especially given my stance... well, that's just not something I agreed to when I signed up for SS.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Beefer518 likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

He's saying I'm a hypocrite for selling an overstrike that Dan didn't initial or sign. He has a fair point in that.

But since we're headed down that path: Has anyone else noted that Dan Carr's new St. Gauden's tokens have an imprinted lettered edge? As I recall, Dan himself once replied to me that putting his initials on the edge of the coin, (something I suggested he do as a means of protecting the hobby [by keeping someone from representing his overstrikes as true U.S. Mint struck rarities], would be too difficult or not cost effective so as to make it feasible. (I'll see if I can find the quote tomorrow or later this week when I'm able). In any case, this would indicate one of two things:
    1. Dan's skills have taken a significant jump in the 15 months since that thread.
    2. Dan just didn't want to bother with it back then (which has interesting implications of it's own).

But hey, perhaps now his future overstrikes can carry Dan's initials or name on the edge! We know it can be done!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  7. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

I've been putting edge lettering on medals for several years. That isn't new. It doesn't work so well on some pieces (thin, small diameter, and/or reeded edge).
    What I did say previously was that the fantasy date, along with my published documentation about them, constitutes a "signature".

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So no future changes for overstrikes then?

9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

It was most likely meant as an inside joke.

Let's save that for a different discussion. ;)

C-B-D likes this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Think it would have the same fire and zeal as the former one?

11. Aidan_()

You know it! Ya' just going to be beating on a dead horse. I think any further discussion on this would need a separate sub-forum! :woot:

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That horse isn't dead. It's been playing possum.

13. Aidan_()

LOL. I should participate in SS this year and play a joke on Cascade. Shh, don't tell him.

14. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I've not really be following this thread and just returned to it. Obviously something controversial have happened. Would someone be willing to explain so that I don't have to read through pages and pages or disputatious posts.

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was given a Dan Carr overstrike token as my SS gift. An item that I have a history of being against, since I thought Dan should intitial or sign his creations or "copies" as some members have called them. I took it in stride but put the item up for sale after a month or two. A few members think that it is wrong and insulting for me to sell a Secret Santa gift. At least one other thinks that trying to profit off the sale of it is downright unethical.

16. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Guess I am not familiar with these. I thought all he sold was overpriced silver rounds. Never really paid any attention to them.

17. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

It would only require 3 or 4 pages of posts, not full pages of written text. If reading is an aversion to you then there might be some upcoming openings for you in what used to be some reading required jobs. :inpain:

18. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agree and disagree. We are arguing normative disagreements. Unfortunately here, we can both be right since we are arguing with our own personal norms and values. My comment on his business ethics comes from outside of this thread, from other threads he has on CT, and I see this as just another mark on his name for me. You're welcome to see it otherwise, it doesn't make you wrong.

19. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

:eggface::woot::hilarious:

20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Yeah, but most of the comments are inane ones like this one, which are a waste of time. Plus, there are 45 pages of comments at I have no idea where this dispute started.

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I hope that you all realize that you are discouraging others from participating in future years by carrying on with this. As I stated previously, and though you are certainly entitled to your opinion, it is his coin to do whatever he wants to do with it. And none of you know the whole back story. His Santa has not expressed his displeasure with the pending sale in any way.

Beefer518, chrisild and Rassi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted