Secret Santa 2017 Sign-up

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kirkuleez, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

$125

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Holey moley

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Is that what these cost?! I agree, bad form. However it is his, he can do what he wants.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Yeah but what if some poor old innocent collector buys it thinking it's real?

That's what you boys have been whining about for 2 years.

Ad says SOLD OUT, yep, sold out for sure.

Seattlite86 and baseball21 like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Just trying to boost the market value of you guys' DC overstrikes. You're welcome. ;) Seriously, though, I appreciated it for a while, now someone else can if they make a decent offer. The token is no longer available at The Moonlight Mint, so a DC collector will be happy to have it one of these days if and when it sells. That's it. Cut and dried. No malice on my end.

7. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I did my best to get things I thought my person would like, but it wouldn't bother me if they sold them to get something else, or pay the electric bill, or whatever. My SS went above and beyond and they're here to stay, but I get it.

Seems like most of us do this in our own collections to some extent, but especially most dealers I know stay in the mode of enjoying things for a time and then moving them along out of necessity as getting emotionally attached to coins just isn't an option when you sell them for a living.

Not to discount anyone's feelings on the matter, just seems par for the course of what I'd expect if my giftee were a dealer.

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I am a collector and small time dealer. I buy what I like, but everything (for the most part) is for sale. So I sell my coins to help our income, and to help fuel my collecting habit. With that said, I have never sold a piece I've been given, even if it didn't really fit into my collection. I figure if someone took the time to pick something out just for me, the least I could do would be to keep it and enjoy it like they intended. I understand not everyone will or is even able to keep all gifts, but to profit from it so soon.... well, anyways. I know for secret santa, if I was ever given the name of someone who is known to sell their gifts, I sure wouldn't put as much time (or money) into it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    sakata, Seattlite86, Garlicus and 3 others like this.
  9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The coin belongs to C-B-D and he may do with it anything he wishes.

It's kind of petty to suggest that he's a bad person for selling his coin. It's HIS. It was a gift that was made in jest as kind of a jab, and maybe he doesn't appreciate the joke as much as the rest of us, or maybe he really doesn't like Daniel Carr overstrike pieces and doesn't want one, either way, the coin belongs to him and it's really kind of small for us to pass judgment on him simply because he doesn't want to keep it.

sakata and Kirkuleez like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not chiding you, but please post a picture to show what you replaced it with and then treasure that as your Secret Santa gift.

LuxUnit likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Good idea. I doubt it'll sell for a long time, though. But good call.

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You guys don’t know the whole story about the cent, I won’t tell it because I keep Santa secrets safe. Suffice to say that there’s really no reason to pass judgment here. Besides, once you receive your gift, it is yours to do with it as you please. Unless what pleases you is to improperly clean your coins; such actions will lead to public shaming.
    I personally treasure all of the fine gifts that people have sent to me, but then again the gifts that I’ve received fit very nicely into my collection.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Let's just ride this one out..........until later this year dear fellows.......at least September......

14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

In the end, you are right. It's his gift and he could do as he pleases (and being truly fair, he could clean it if he wanted to and it's none of our business). Except that he's very public about what he does with his coins and opens himself up to commentary. I think the issue taken here is that he's taken his gift and attempted to turn it into a profit. I'd have been satisfied if he had responded saying he would use that money to buy a new coin that he wanted, but he instead tried to play it off like he's somehow helping other people by profiting off his gift. Honestly, that response made me more upset because he has convinced himself he's doing a good turn and feels good about it. I know that we wouldn't be able to collect our coins without dealers, but most of the ones I meet have sold more than just their coins to get where they are... I'm done beating up on C-B-D, but I'm also never going to purchase from him in the future as I don't like his approach to business ethics, and that comment extends far beyond this thread.

15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

lower now by ten

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

To be picky, since any "gift" costs you nothing, selling it for anything would show a "profit".

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Actually I don't think I have an issue with him selling it. No. 1 you don't always find that a coin fits in with what you enjoy collecting and the natural thing may be to either sell, give, or trade it away. No. 2 I have sold at least one coin I received as a "gift", though it was not a Christmas Secret Santa gift. I recognized it could bring me at least fifty dollars and it was unlike anything I had in a collection, and I decided that although I liked the coin, I was not likely to have a collection based on it. So I had it slabbed and later found a buyer at 95$. No. 3 He is a dealer and although I am certain he likes coins, I would think perhaps he really likes selling coins, so that any coin he owns at any time is up for sale or will be if he thinks the market will support it. I can't fault him for that... I enjoy a good sale, too.

But perhaps the only wrong thing would be the turn around time and the fact that he has a high visibility. In other words, If he had held on to it for, say, another year or so and then put it up for sale, I don't think he would be getting this grief. Time can say that he enjoyed the gift, but ultimately found that it was better for him to sell it. Optics is driving the perception that he doesn't care and he doesn't appreciate the gift and that making money off it is the important thing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    mikenoodle likes this.
  18. dcarr

dcarr Mint-Master

The coin belongs to C-B-D. He can scratch his initials (or "DC") into it if he wants ;)

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Perfect reply! Lol

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Perhaps I missed it, but if the copy was sent to him by someone aware of his distaste for such things, it rightly opens him up to do whatever he pleases, and with a perfectly clear conscience. To equate this with any sort of "business ethics" is both wrong as well as unfair.

If sent to him by someone unaware, this would be somewhat different, but it's still his and if he wishes to have a locomotive "overstike" it again, so be it.

Seattlite86 and C-B-D like this.
  21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IIRC, he was given the gift because of his distaste for such things, but then again I don’t know who his SS was nor am I sure that the “fact” that it was given for the above reason was any more than idle gossip.

Draft saved Draft deleted