Secret Santa 2014

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kirkuleez, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Hello Folks of CoinTalk

In the absence of our friend Cannyn (@Cazkaboom), I will be hosting this years' exchange. If Cannyn returns and is up to taking over, this will again be his. As you can see, the rules are basically identical to last year.

This year is the fourth annual Secret Santa Exchange and is the first time that I will be hosting, so please be gentle.

Here are the rules:
    1. You must have at least 100 posts to participate (this is an increase from last year)
    2. The gift must be numismatic.
    3. Please use $15 as the target gift value (If you want to go higher, that is up to you)
    4. If you would like to participate, PM me your mailing address as soon as possible.
    5. Deadline for entry is Saturday, December 13 and I should be able to get your recipients address to you that same weekend.
    6. I reserve the right to deny somebody the privilege to play if I do not trust them

The selection procedure that Cannyn used will remain the same.
    I Put every participating person's screen name in a container
    I Put every screen name and address in another container
    Draw one member, and draw out of the other bag and match them up.
    If the name and member match, I will throw them back in and draw again so nobody gets themselves.
    You Send/receive gifts
    You Open
    You enjoy, thank, and boast on CoinTalk
    Thread dies off eventually
    Another exchange opens up next year

If the gift comes early, as a challenge try to restrain your excitement of wanting to tear it open and wait until Christmas. Please take the time to post what you received from your "secret" Santa and thank them for their generosity. This also lets your Santa know that you gift has not been lost in the mail.

The post count has gone up this year because there seems to be a grinch every year who does not appreciate their gift. The idea is not to win here, it is the spirit of exchanging small gifts with our little community. If you don't like your gift or feel shortchanged, please remember that many of our members are young and/or broke and are giving the best gift that they can in the spirit of the holidays. Please do not go public in an effort to humiliate them because you are more likely going to humiliate yourself. Please see previous Secret Santa threads for examples. By and large though, this has been great fun for many of us, and it even brought me back last year after a bit of a hiatus.

About gift selection; you can either find out what your recipient collects, or just send them something totally random. It seems that coin collectors just like coin related items, and will appreciate anything that you send.

I'm sorry, but this will be open to US residents only unless a few volunteers sign up to ship internationally.

if you have participated previously, I will be sending you a PM shortly, but if you don't see it in the next couple of days, please let me know that you would like to participate. If you have not participated in the past, please do not wait to let me know that you want in.

Happy Holidays and SIGN UP!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm glad to see this idea has spilled over to Cointalk as well. I started the NGC one six years ago (geez, I'm getting old....)

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If you want in the on real one @physics-fan3.14, just send me a PM.

Actually I remember seeing that one over there a while back but never participated much in the forum so I didn't sign up.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

¿Que?

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

What's the confusion Ken, I hope your in, I already picked out a really nice lump of coal for you.

yakpoo, Savy, furryfrog02 and 3 others like this.
  7. green18

Kirk, you devil......:)

Kirkuleez likes this.
  8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am interested.
    Kirk thanks for doing this!!

:)

9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Sounds fun..hope you guy's like Ancients..;)

Ancientnoob and SCDigginWithAK like this.
  10. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

PM sent, thanks for taking over.

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

sending a pm. glad to be in again.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Thanks for doing the Secret Santa thing this year! Will stay out myself (not in the US) but I sure appreciate the initiative. :)

Edit - I'm in, see further below.

Christian

13. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Thanks for doing this. I've had fun both times I've done this. Looking forward to it again this year. Sending PM...

14. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Glad you're hosting this year! I really enjoyed looking through last year's thread. I sent you a PM, just in case someone is willing to ship to Canada.

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Just got a note from Kirk - seems we now have a few "globalists" now. So I'm in as well. :)

Christian

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Glad to have you Christian.

And yes, I have found a few volunteers that will ship internationally, but only a few so far. So if you live outside of the US, please let me know if you would like to participate and I will try to pair you up. As I said, I only have a few volunteers as of now, but I would rather put you on a list than say you can't participate. If I can't find someone who will ship to you, I will let you know and you will not be responsible for shipping to anybody else unless you just want to out of the goodness of your heart.

If you are inside of the US and are willing to ship internationally, please let me know when you send your address.

chrisild likes this.
  17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm in looking forward to it

18. green18

I'm in Kirk. Pm to follow........

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I'd love to participate again this year

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

We are already up to 25 members who have signed up for the exchange after only one day. This could be a record year!

spirityoda, jello and Kasia like this.
  21. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

I love the secret Santa! Got some neat stuff over the years. i only ask that when someone receives their gift, at least acknowledge you did in the official thread! Last year the person I sent stuff to never did, though the USPS tracking stated they got it.

Hallingood and treylxapi47 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.