Second Jewish Revolt The Bar Kochba or Kokhba War

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ChasPay, Mar 23, 2017.

1. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

Ok this is the first time I started a thread so bear with me and if I do something incorrectly please let me know.

I recently sold these two coins for a friend and I'm happy to find out that they were authenticated. He did not want to take the time or spend the money getting it done. It made me feel good to know my faith in him and where he got them was justified. So this is the proudest Ebay feedback I've ever received.

This was the first time I've run into these coins and from what I understand it is pretty rare to do so. So it may be the only time in my life I'll hold these in my hands. Anyhow I figured I'd share a couple of pics. From what I understand these coins were 'made' by using existing Roman coins and stamping over them.

11 front close.jpg 11 rear close.jpg 12 front  close.jpg 12 rear close.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Welcome.

@Aethelred and @Deacon Ray ought to like these.

I'm vaguely familiar with the types and the history behind these, but only a little bit.

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Greetings ChasPay—welcome to the forum!

Beautiful coins! They look real to me but I'm not an authentication expert.

The Judaean Bar Kochba Revolt era coins 132-135 AD. were frequently stamped over Roman denarii. Most of the premium ones that I've seen for sale are in the $1–3,000 range.

Check out one on VCOINS:
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/vi...ded_jewish_coin_inv_11268/792895/Default.aspx

Here's a great site by the Israel Numismatic Society:
    http://www.menorahcoinproject.org

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Deacon just said it all for me.

They are highly scarce and highly desired. I believe I picked up a modest bronze just to have an example from the 1st or 2nd Jewish revolt.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

The gentleman I sold them to said NGC authenticated them and that made me feel pretty good since I have so little knowledge about them. They are very nice as far as history pieces but I think the Greek ancients are nicer looking by far. Really nice to have had the chance to handle them considering how I most likely will never come across coins like these again. All in all pretty good for the ego.

7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

NGC does NOT guarantee the authenticity of ancient coins.

8. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

Below is the message I got back from the buyer. I misspoke saying they authenticated when I should have said they graded them and did not return them feeling they were not real. I don't believe I mentioned any kind of guarantee. All of that said I'm simply happy he was pleased with the coins.

Nothing personal but when I buy ancient coins of this price (and quality) I like to have them authenticated before I leave feedback in case I need to return it. I was quite certain the coins I bought from you were authentic but I'm not NGC. I bought a gold Greek stater about the same time that I got the coins from you and I thought it was very nice. I expressed that coin and one of the coins I got from you to NGC. The coin I got from you graded no problem but the gold stater they said was not genuine. Would have fooled me. I sent the other coin I got from you to NGC along with about a dozen others I already had by the slower (and cheaper) way. I'm very happy with both of them. If you have anything else I might be interested in I would like to hear about it.

9. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I don't know anything about authenticity. But, my bro has one of these. Here are the seller's pics:

3820168.jpg

I'd love to figure out the under type, but they wore it down pretty good.

Erin

Mikey Zee, Stevearino, Ajax and 2 others like this.
  10. ChasPay

ChasPay Active Member

I wonder if there is a way to see the under type using some sort of radar process. I have watched Archaeology shows where they use different types of tests to see how long ago a metal object was forged. I wonder if there is a way to get an impression of the original image. It would be pretty cool if it is possible.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted