Second ANA Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinMike747, Mar 4, 2014.

1. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Greetings,
    About a week back I received my second ancient from the ANA's Ancient Coin Project, and thought why not share! Here she is, or rather here he is: IMG_4175-horz.jpg Though the toning is a bit dark, I still find the coin to be pleasing in appearance. Feel free to post your Severus denarii!
    -Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Despite the break in the toning, its a nice coin overall.

I have several coins of him, too lazy to post though.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I agree with Mat, nice coin overall. What sort of projects are you doing to earn the coins?

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Your coin is a very early example using the SEVERVS PIVS AVG legend and has an early portrait with the corkscrew beard. Below is copied from my page on the Rome mint with representative samples from the periods. Your coin could nicely fit in between my 5th and 6th examples. When you suggested we might post our SS coins, I could just feel the fear in the hearts of some of our members lest Martin and I would feel the need to post all ours again. We both specialize in the Eastern mints of which none are below. Rome mint coins are more common but less appreciated by many of us who have an irrational love for the Eastern mints.

The Rome mint produced denarii for Septimius Severus from his proclamation as emperor in 193 AD until his death in 211 AD. This page will show only a representative sampling of the many varieties. The issues of 193 honoring the legions that supported Septimius are covered separately under Legionary Denarii.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/legions.html
    [​IMG]
    Several other varieties were also produced in 193 AD.

[​IMG][​IMG]

(Left) Rome mint coins of 193 AD use the obverse legend IMPCAELSEPSEVPERTAVG.
    (Right) Very late in 193 AD the second award of Imperator (honoring a notable victory in battle) was recorded with the new obverse legend LSEPTSEVPERTAVGIMPII.

[​IMG][​IMG]

(Left) This IMP dated legend was updated each time a new award was made through IMPX. All numerals in the series are available except VI. It is probable that the awards of Imperator VI and Imperator VII were so closely spaced that the mint had not retooled before the second change was required.
    (Right) At Imperator XI in 198 AD the reference to Pertinax was dropped from the legend and replaced with reference to victories in the war with Parthia. The legend now reads LSEPTSEVAVGIMPXIPARTMAX. Septimius was now emphasising his adoption into the family of Marcus Aurelius and playing down his role as avenger of Pertinax.

[​IMG][​IMG]

(Left) Later issues (202 - 210 AD) adopted the most common legend SEVERVSPIVSAVG. These coins show Septimius with the corkscrew beard for which he is known.
    (Right) Coins of the final year (210 -211 AD) added reference to Septimius' victories in Britain. The legend is now SEVERVSPIVSAVGBRIT.

[​IMG]

Following his death (February 211) Septimius was honored with a posthumous issue bearing the legend DIVOSEVEROPIO.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Gil-galad, chrsmat71, vlaha and 3 others like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sorry, but I'm at the hospital with my wife so I don't have access to my catelog in order to post any images of my SS coins. However, I like your new coin and believe you bought a decent coin.

7. John Anthony

Hope everything's ok, JW!

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Some here know my wife has been going through a hard couple of years. The surgery tomorrow is suppose to help relieve some of her pain. Another surgery in the near future MAY help much more. Thanks for asking.

9. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  10. John Anthony

11. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Ah ha.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great addition!

CoinMike747 likes this.
  13. John Anthony

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from Doug and Martin. I own all of two coins of S. Severus, and they were opportunistic grabs. I was not out to collect them at all. But I'm very pleased with them as they both represent some of the highest grade examples of their type.

An Eastern mint Fortuna denarius and a small bronze of Nikopolis ad Istrum with Mercury reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

randygeki, Bing, Gil-galad and 6 others like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Both are nice coins - the denarius especially so.

15. CoinMike747

Hey John! Some of the projects that I've worked on included coin articles I published, coin shows I've worked at, awards I've won, and coin show exhibits I put together. Also at my coin club's upcoming April show I'm planning on exhibiting my collection of Roman Emperors, so that should be fun.

John Anthony likes this.
  16. CoinMike747

Wow thanks for your awesome timeline! I found it to be very interesting.

17. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I only have 3 coins of Septimius severus....
    1 denarius I found
    a coin described as a sestertius , which I suspect is a dupondius
    a sestertius en route from france as we speak
    like JA I havent sought them out, but the coins above were part of a package deal.
    I'll photograph the 3 of them when the 3rd arrives.
    I was offered a legionary sestertius by a French lady last year, but passed.......are these rare and sought after Doug?

CoinMike747 likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, very much so if in high grade. Most are dogs like mine. If you get one with the full reverse legends, you have something. The sestertii are all from Legion XIIII so having the legend would not seem as important but the prices realized show that it is. I paid $20 in 1990 after merciless badgering of the dealer from whom I had bought several coins. It was worth more despite the condition.
    rs4770bb0455.jpg
    The four on acsearch are all better than mine but none have half the legend. The CNG resource shows three better than average, none full legend, none with the numeral. If you collect gold, the aurei of the type are among the more common types and always perfectly struck. If a full legend one were to hit the market, it should bring four digits.

Bing, Gil-galad, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool coin CM...that an interesting color.

i don't have a SS denarius :(.

hope everything goes well with your wife's surgery JW!

Bing likes this.
  20. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Well wishes to your wife, JW. Yes, I know a little about what you said over the past couple of years.

Bing likes this.
  21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

septimius-severus-ae-denarius.jpg

Septimus Severus AE Denarius. 196-197 AD. 3.5g, 19mm

OBV: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII, Laureate head right.

REV: PROVIDEN-TIA AVG, Providentia standing left with wand over orb & sceptre in other hand.

REF: RIC 92v, RSC 592c

Draft saved Draft deleted