Seated Liberty Halfs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrbrklyn, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Speedy, I have coins which I have guaranteed pedigree on which have never been dipped and have such a pattern, such as that Columbus I published before.

But they are saying it wasn't only cleaned, but harshly cleaned. I want to learn how they come to that judgement so i could look for that next time..

As for the other post (not by you) that dipping is something they do, please, don't encourage that because that destroys the coin. Why not just counter-strike as well.

Ruben

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Ruben
    I havn't seen anyone say that it was anymore cleaned that just dipped---and I would disagree with them if they had said that it was harshly cleaned.
    I also disagree that dipping is always bad--it can be for the good.

Now---as for the guaranteed pedigree---can you post a photo of that???....there is no way that I know of that anyone can guarantee that a coin has never been dipped.

Speedy

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I said I thought it was harshly cleaned Speedy. Look closely at the fields where the light meets the dark on each side of Lady Liberty. The most obvious spot on the reverse is above the OL.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I did twice. Its the Columbia in this thread and it was owned 100% of its life in a shoe box from an Aunt.

Ruben

6. ikes4ever

ikes4ever Senior Member

it might have been cleaned but I am not sure it was harshly cleaned. It s still a very nice coin either way. nice find Rueben

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ruben -

Look closely at the Columbia commem, look at where the darker color meets the lighter color, see how it kind of blends together and there are no sharp lines defining the difference between the two colors. One just kind of runs into the other smoothly.

Your explanation of the Columbia being kept in a shoe box for many years would explain the light wear spots on the high points. But she must have kept something else in there too to account for the rim dings - the coin bumping and sliding into something else.

Now look at the Seated Liberty half. There is no blending here, there are just abrupt changes - in particular on the reverse. See the dark lines around each of the wings, then it just changes to light. And see how all of the recesses in the wings and the shield are dark, but the top parts are light. That's a pretty sure indication that the coin has been rubbed with a cloth, wiping the dirt off the high spots and leaving it in the low spots.

Now I have circled some areas on your pics where you can see the hairline scratches left by the cloth. They show up the best in the areas where the dark meets the light. But you can see them in the light colored fields as well. This pretty much cinches it that the coin was harshly cleaned. And the hairlines don't have to all run in the same direction, they seldom do on cleaned coins.

That's what you can look for.

Attached Files:

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Ah----thanks for the photos Doug.
    I see what you mean.

Speedy

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Its been long in coming but I finally understand the point your making here! Thanks
    for the tip and the education.

Ruben

10. srkjkd

srkjkd Book before coin

the seated liberty series is one of the most beautiful designs that have been placed on our coins (only my own opinion), and a great one to collect no matter which denomination you choose. i agree w/ their assessment of the cleaning. keep in mind also, that prior to the turn of the 20th century. cleaning a coin was often commonly done as an accepted practice. there are a lot of yrs which have passed since the minting of the coin, so much can occur to it before it winds up as someone's family keepsake or coin collection. i would probably give it a fine details grade but still a great coin from a historical perspective. thanks for posting....steve

11. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

I just wanted to say thank you to GDJMSP as that is the type of detail needed in a post claiming a coin has been cleaned as it helps the rest of us learn.

Thanks

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Is he? Is this a known variety?

Ruben

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, I'm really starting to like these as well. I just got this one:

[​IMG]

I also have an 1853-O that is uniformly dark over the whole coin. I suspect that one for sure has not been cleaned.

Good info in this thread. Thanks guys!

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Nice ONE!

Ruben

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

PASS - you can do better.

O-mint halves from the 50's and 60's are common coins. You can do MUCH better than the one pictured in this thread.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I already own it but I will look for better.

Ruben

17. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

this one has really been revived from the dead...lol. Anyways, I really like the '59' that was posted with the rainbow ring around the outskirts. I have a bust half with a very similar look to it; though I would say both mine and his have been over dipped.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I'll keep my eyes open for you. :)

19. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

If I were you I wouldn't worry about that coin being dipped, cleaned or whatever. Going to coin shows frequently I've noticed those seated coins vanishing more and more. One dealer I know at the last show had 3 tables of coins, usually does, and out of possibly several hundred coins he had very few seated anythings. I don't think it's just because they are old, I suspect it may be that so few coins of ours have someone sitting down. Ever notice most of our coins are just a head or someone standing or walking.
    Regardless of what anyone says, that is a nice coin.

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I forgot to get back to it and it was in my todo list :)

Aside from that, its a great thread with a lot of learning information in it.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted