Seated Liberty Half Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Indianhead65, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

This 1855 o was a fantastic pick it 1 of 6 known die marriages known to exist. 20211114_105041.jpg 20211114_105023.jpg

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Half Dimes are a lot of fun. I built a nice collection years ago but moved on to Seated Dimes when I got down to the last few I needed. Half Dimes were tough to find in my area. Dimes were easy to find.

Cheech9712, Paddy54 and Indianhead65 like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I got this off an LCS bid board. Some kind of damage on the obverse by the liberty cap and between the 8 and 5 in the date. The area by the liberty cap looks possibly "inked" but not sure. Shame as it seems to have pretty decent details. The reverse shows a die clash I believe. DSCN4236~2.JPG DSCN4237~2.JPG

robec, AcesKings and Paddy54 like this.
  7. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

Here are 3 of mine.

1800 Half Dime Slab Obv.jpg 1838-O half Dime Obv.jpg 1838-O Half Dime Rev.jpg 1873 Proof Half Dime Slab Obv.jpg

INDE1977, robec, AcesKings and 5 others like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

10. Paddy54

Try a soak in acetone should remove those areas...looks as its has been dipped as those colors are toning . Many h-10's were in albums..that toned them dark .

You may want to explore the item in the denticles below the 1 most probably a mpd...now I need to research this but I do not recall a known mpd on a 53 arrow half dime.

Yes it is the 1853 mpd 001 misplaced date in the base of the rock tops of all 4 digits can be seen protruding from the base of the rock. The sequence is top of 1 over the 8 top of 8 over the 5, and top of 5 over the 3.
    The diagnostics are the clashes on the reverse,as well die crack.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Anthony Mazza and Razz like this.
  11. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks @Paddy54 After review under high magnification and light and review of the CPG pictures I think what you see in my pictures is an artifact of the toning. I also don't see a die crack unless the toning is covering it up. I will give it an acetone soak and re photograph.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I only have one, rescued from the clean-out pit at a recycled newspaper paper mill 40 years ago, posted here previously (more than a few times probably...). No clue on any die marriages or variety. Plan to put it on a necklace for my kid.
    1858_halfdime.jpg

robec likes this.
  13. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my $30 1867-S. It in fact does seem to have luster. It's a problem coin but you can't even come close to arguing with that price - it was in a 2x2 in a binder at the Portland PNNA show a few years back.

14. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Holed preferred. I collect both seated and pre-seated half dimes from 1792. Some varieties, mintmark sizes are interesting. Sometimes plugged, looped, or sometimes whatever shows up. Higher grades are nice.

15. Paddy54

I believe it is ...I copied the image and marked in red...remember these are fragments of digits not whole numbers. 20220622_152726.jpg

I see the 8's top over the 5 flag . Plus there's something in the denticles. 20220622_153523.jpg 20220622_153519.jpg
    I couldn't find an exact match as the image has a blunt flag on the 5 however seated coinage has more mpd's than are known...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    robec likes this.
  16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I never realized that there were that many of those buggers. I’m really impressed cuz I know you probably have some pre 1829’s. Glad for you

18. Cheech9712

Make sure you got a loop cuz you’ll need one.

19. Cheech9712

Yeah paddy got me. I started my Red Book for half dimes search looking for 1929 half dimes

20. Cheech9712

Yeah I get it. Kinda weird so small. In the same sense I think the Ike’s are weird big

21. Cheech9712

Now I want one. I’m starting to read and love the participants participation

Draft saved Draft deleted