Seated Liberty Half Dimes 1837-1873 Variety 1,2,3 and 4

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Once again here is the latter part of the U.S. Half Dimes, The Seated Liberty series. This series is made up of 4 types /varieties, #1 No star on Obv.{1837-1838} #2 Stars on the Obv. {1838-1853} #3 Arrow at date {1853-1855} Variety #2 resumed {1856-1859} #4 Legend on Obverse {1860-1873} This was the first 5 cent coin in the U.S. to bear a mint mark. As most of the coins were struck in Philadelphia they were not marked, however coins minted in 1841,1842,1844,1848,1849,1850,1851,1852,1853*no arrows,1853 * arrows,1854,1855,1856,1857,1858,1859,1860, were also minted in New Orleans. In 1863,1864,1865,1866, 1867,1868,1869,[1870**] ,1871,1872* ,and 1873 were struck again in Philadelphia,and in San Francisco.1872 had a change of the mint mark both above the bow and below the bow.
    The 1860's for the most part are your key dates in this series. Most struck after 1862 were in the ten's of thousands,or less*, not in the million plus mintage's. There are a few exceptions 1871 & 72 over a million plus minted.
    Again this series strikes my fancy due to the varieties it has to offer, plus the fact that it was changed so much during its production time into 5 types as listed above.
    To complete this series would be a real task. However it has enough Varieties and types to keep you interested even through filling ever hole is just about next to impossible,unless you have a unlimited coin budget!

Ok let's see some of your Seated Liberty Half Dimes Post them if ya got them.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

The first coin I'm posting is an 1839, Stars on the obverse, no drapery from the elbow. a Valentine #2 1839 V-2 SLHD.jpg

swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is a fun one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paddy54, Eduard, Treashunt and 4 others like this.
  5. Paddy54

Beautiful example of an 1858 over inverted date! Two thumbs up on that one....

6. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Yes, go collect the dimes and stay away from my precious seated quarters :)

Seriously though, I am attracted to the quarters for many of the same reasons, however the design is a little larger and a bit easier for me to see and such.

Great series!

7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

You wonder what went through the engraver's head when he realized he punched the date upside down. Probably a facepalm-worthy mistake.

8. Paddy54

The next one is an 1857 V-3 SLHD Open med high date well centered,The 7 lower towards the rim and the 5 is closed. This coin also was struck slightly off center. Another pup on this date is the stars. In early 57 the hubs becoming badly worn was retouched. This caused several issues on the stars and other devices. That makes the identification a lot easier. 1857 SLHD V-3.jpg 1857 seated half dime date.jpg 1857 seated half dime star.jpg

9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

These are my best three and consequently part of my Type Set.

1853 With arrows showing a clash on the reverse, most prominent below the word STATES. IMG_5142-horz.jpg

1859 Stars Obverse, No Arrows. Unfortunately, there seems to be a haze on the upper part of the reverse. I'm not sure what caused it (improper dip?) or how to remove it.
    IMG_5156-horz.jpg

1862 Legend Obverse. I go the shot all wrong with the obverse, I did a decent job on the reverse. This was a hasty job!
    IMG_5170-horz.jpg IMG_5180-horz.jpg

swamp yankee and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Seattlite86

Gorgeous coin!

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This one had a harsh cleaning at some point in it's life. I still love it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Paddy54

The next is an 1854 Arrowed date.The date on this one is rather compact,with the 1 & 8 being closer.The arrow head on the right is larger and is close to the 4, it touches the denticles. The loop on the 5 is almost closed,and the 4 & 5 are close. The left arrow head touches the denticles and there's a small die crack. This coin is an Obv. V-3 and an Rev. 3 A as you can id by the die crack seen in the A's base. 1854 SLHD Arrow V-3.jpg 1854 SLHD date.jpg 1854 SLHD lt arrow.jpg 1854 SLHD tip of arrow.jpg 1854 SLHD rt arrow.jpg 1854 SLHD star.jpg

swamp yankee, ldhair and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. Paddy54

The next coin an 1854 O Valentine -#1 High date all numbers and rt. arrow touches the base.The left arrow is smaller then the right one.This die had been badly starched and fine lines show all over the figure and shield. The "O" is heavy and large slightly low. 1854 O SLHD V 1.jpg 1854 O  SLHD date.jpg 1854 O SLHD Date arrow lt.jpg 1854 O SLHD mm O.jpg

Eduard and swamp yankee like this.
  14. Seattlite86

I'm completely unfamiliar with these Valentine numbers. Do you have a link I could reference to learn about them? Also, do you have any opinion on my half dimes and their V numbers?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This one had a hard life but I still like it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I always think of putting together type sets of different series then I see the beauties that get posted on here and no mine would pale in comparison so I just keep on buying stuff I can put in my albums. I enjoy looking at these great examples though.

17. Paddy54

I have his book on US half dimes, he list by date ,then each one is broken down by his attribution that are also updated by others whom have studied this series .
    There are even sub sets so to speak of examples it's V-3 obv. & V-3a reverse . A lot of the dies were reworked , and reused. His book I picked up a few years back. Not easy to follow as there are few images worth viewing to compare . You need to read each break down and compare all pick up points.
    Some are easy others are well it's like #3 but don't see the die break here in the Am of America . The letter "T" is distorted . ...and so on. So you must study each carefully , and some it's like is it a 3 or a 4? Both are close but you're missing the finial piece of the puzzle . If you send me some detail images I can enlarge I most probably can nail them down for you.

18. Seattlite86

Clicking on them and enlarging them doesn't give enough detail to determine? What specific areas should I focus on with photos?

19. Paddy54

If they were a tad bit lighter ,being so dark hard to see items like die cracks. Even in hand some of my coins that are toned were hard to see.
    Your 1853 could be a mpd if I could see the date better.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  20. Paddy54

This 1838 is an V-1 medium- open date no stars obv.
    Rev.medium lettering rather large O slightly low with a die break though O
    This was an easy one to id.

UnCommonCents likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted