Seated liberty half dime rpd?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Eagles n Indians, Jan 16, 2018.

1. The clash line up but the bottom of the 8 doesn’t

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Die clash dose not explain the clear secondary 8 below the primary 8. There are new discoveries made every day. Even on 140 year old coins.

Eagles n Indians likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That isn't a secondary 8 ... and this is not an RPD.... !
    You can believe what ever you like....but it is what it is a clashed die.
    And if you study the op over lay it isn't correct! It isn't adjusted correctly the tail of the 2 is on the rim not in the field...it has not been adjusted for the slight rotation of the specimen.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

downloadfile-41.jpg downloadfile-35.jpg
    The overlay and original obv. doesn't match. Date placement is off.
    @Rick Stachowski

Eagles n Indians and tommyc03 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Paddy54 You are correct, they WILL believe what they want. But personally I trust your evaluation on this totally.

Eagles n Indians and Paddy54 like this.
  7. I’m not trying to start any arguments or anything. As far as being clashed, that is 100 percent. My overlay skills are weak at best and this was my first attempt, but the date placement isn’t off because of the rim. The solid image is of the reverse and has a thicker rim than the obverse, that’s why it looks like it’s touching the rim. No matter how I shift it there isn’t anything in the reverse design that will make that lower 8 doubling I tried. Maybe it isn’t an rpd. It is what it is I got the coin for 25 bucks so I’m pretty happy with it

8. Paddy54

For $25 you should be extremely happy as it' condition is well worth more. The two images you provided the original and the overlay don't match. If they did you see what that the clash is what you're seeing as a repunched date.
    I never post in here that I am an expert.....but with all the references besides the CPG that I have in my library ,many years over 50 collecting varties,and coins in general...I bet the house on this....That this isn' no way or how a rpd.

Eagles n Indians and tommyc03 like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat as Paddy, the clash seems to be pretty self explanatory. It might need a little better alignment, to see it correctly, but it sure doesn't look like an RPD.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Ok @Paddy54 your right I see it now. I tried a different overlay program. Still not 100% perfect but it’s enough to get your point across. 4C8DE323-3B29-41EF-9006-4349006F6B09.jpeg

11. EA1F80A2-FD56-438D-996E-2CE3885E2582.jpeg 6302F4CF-C173-4EEF-AE66-78AA097DA96E.jpeg
    On a side note- I found a Danzig 1/2 gulden like your profile picture a few weeks ago in some foreign coins. I’ve been searching lots of coins for a long time and never came across one till then.

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Paddy54

This truly wasn't about being right....it was about teaching you and others to understand what you are seeing. I need to find a silver dollar of mine.....looking at it the first thing one see or thinks is RPD and of course it isn't. Training both your eye and mind when looking at coins can be a hard thing to learn.
    This is why I gave up filling holes in albums ,and chasing varities. I will be the first to admit I am better at seeing mpd,rpm,rpd,then doubled dies.... I do understand also finding a coin be it a discovery coin or something just strange....I have a seated half dime with the right half top of the shield in the Date!
    It is the only thing it can be....as there's nothing else on the coin that shares the same shape or design....others see it as I do some don't...So I do understand finding an artifact on a coin that by all means should not be there...for any reason.

13. Paddy54

How much did it run you? If you don't mind me asking....as mine I gave $25 and only after the fact realised it was like a $150 +/- coin and quite rare so to speak mine is a 1927

14. I bought 5 lbs of mixed foreign coins sight unseen for 100 bucks. There wasn’t really anything past 1930 or so. There was Connecticut colonials, a few other early colonials, liberty cap half cent and large cent, a bunch of old merchant tokens and a ton of awesome foreign stuff. I threw the Danzig coin in the tokens pile and almost threw it in a junk pile. I love the hunt, scanning through piles of possible treasure, and that lot was probably my biggest cache yet.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Paddy54

Well the Danzig 23 1/2 G just got you just about half your money back.
    I truly have not checked finished auctions but on both the 23 and 27 are heavy hitters price wise.....and so are a few others from the city.
    I just loved the simple design...and having been a sailor and the following sea I was sold as soon as my eyes payed on it.
    I will be looking for the 23 as well a few others now... but wont be laying out moon money out for them.

Eagles n Indians likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted