Seated dime list prices compared to actual prices sold.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by buddy16cat, Jul 5, 2015.

1. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I noticed on sites like Numismedia that some coins sell at the list price. Some coins I sold, sold for even more depending on what it looked like. Seated dimes on the other hand sell for significantly less than list price, especially in lower grades. I wonder why that is so? I bought these 6 coins at a BIN of $25. I thought that was a good price but on auction sell for a low price too.
    seateddimes6.JPG

swamp yankee and Bret Swanie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When you say list, exactly which list is it that you are talking about ? I ask that because there are more "lists" than you have fingers to count, and they are all different, sometimes drastically different.

4. buddy16cat

I was mostly talking about Numismedia. I use the Redbook too and notice the significant difference between Numismedia, Redbook, and the gray sheet although dealers use that. Some listings seem more accurate than others what the coin will actual sell for. Sometimes they sell for more than the listing. Two of the coins above list for $24 but don't see them selling for that. I got them for a few bucks a piece. I realize a list price means nothing if it can't sell for it, some just need to be slightly discounted, while others significantly, and some sell at the listed price or more..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And that's what I was getting at, so called price guides are pretty much worthless - all of them - with the possible exception of the Grey Sheet.

Gilbert likes this.
  6. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Average full rimmed seated dimes wholesale for about $11 each.

7. buddy16cat

That is nice to know, thanks. I see 4 of them are full rimmed, two are not and one has a nick or some sorts. Plus the 1854 looks to have been dipped at one time because of the color. These I bought for myself so I don't intend on selling any. I think the 1841-O in wreath looks to be the most valuable of the bunch.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted