Searching for Hennings

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by H8_modern, Dec 7, 2023.

1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I had a chance to go through 16 rolls of older nickels that hadn’t been touched for about 50 years. They were 1939-1962 and I weighed them all. There were some that were under 5g which is pretty much explained by wear. There were a few that were over the 5g which made me look much closer at all the pickup points for a Hennings. One of them is the subject here which was overweight but worn. Stranger still is that it has a mint mark which is unknown for Hennings counterfeits. I don’t know. Any thoughts? @JCro57 , what do you think?

upload_2023-12-7_20-24-52.jpeg

upload_2023-12-7_20-25-5.jpeg

upload_2023-12-7_20-25-17.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

I don't see any PUP's for it to be a Henning. The over weight is probably due thick planchet.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m not good with Henning Nickels but I do agree with a slightly thicker planchet.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

AFAIK Henning was arrested before the Mint even struck 1957 coins. I think if I got a 2026 Lincoln Cent in change today, I would think time travel was possible or
    Ali-Express was selling fantasy cents.

Mr.Q, Jack D. Young and Kentucky like this.
  6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

No, it is not, sorry. Good luck.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I thought that Henning was arrested in 1954, but I'm not sure where I remember that date. There is no way that piece bearing the 1957 date would be one of his creations. He made his dies from genuine coins and would not have had access to a 1957 nickel at that time.

The only two Henning products I have are the most common 1944 no mint mark pieces.

1944 Henning Nickel O.jpg 1944 Henning Nickel R.jpg

JCro57 likes this.
  8. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Hi, there.

Henning got convicted in 1955. He wouldn't have made a 1957. Also, not all Henning nickels are overweight; some are underweight and some weigh 5.0 exactly. It also lacks the surface appearance of his fakes.

9. JCro57

Still waiting for your photos of a fake Henning. As a premier expert on Henning and his coins, I'd be really interested...still...

10. JCro57

@Insider

Thought these might be copycat fakes, as the surface finish is unlike all examples I've ever seen. But as I am waiting the results from an XRF scan, I think they just may have both been improperly cleaned. They also have different die markers, which is uncommon for many fakes. Unless a counterfeiter made several different dies, which is also unusual.

FB_IMG_1700326776839.jpg FB_IMG_1700326780291.jpg FB_IMG_1700326783513.jpg FB_IMG_1700326786494.jpg

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Please educate me. I know nothing about Henning and his counterfeit nickels. These nickels are dated 1944 which makes them War Nickels but there’s no mint mark above the dome. I would think them to be fakes just because of the lack of a mint mark. What am I missing?

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Joe, There are two people waiting to see the images. As I told him, the coin would not fool him OR YOU. I took them to use for a column titled "counterfeit of a counterfeit." The color was too bright and the coin was micro-granular. I suspect it was made in China.

The chance I have the time to find those images is about 60% because I just keep taking images and only have a few hundred sorted into separate folders for what they are. So, anytime you reply to one of my posts, keep asking. One day, when I am looking through one of the full thumb drives for something, I'll find the images. I want to use them too. ICG slabbed it as a counterfeit.

13. JCro57

10-4, Pal. Great to hear from ya.

Also, was it slabbed it as a reproduction copy of an actual Henning nickel, or the same "counterfeit" label as genuine Hennings?

14. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

Henning nickel dates are 1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953.

Draft saved Draft deleted