Scratch or die crack?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johnnie Black, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I imagine this is a scratch on the jaw but how do you determine a die crack? Are they typically longer?
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

That mark is into the coin's surface, therefore it did not result from a break in the die which would be raised. What you have is either a "hit" on the coin or more likely a mark on the original planchet that was not struck out. I could not blow up the image so my guess is only based on the shape of the mark and its location.

green18, Johnnie Black and robec like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I disagree as the line that runs parallel to the jaw line shows raised metal at the angle of the mandible .
    There's another die crack starting at the base of the "T" over his orbit that runs down the hair line through his ear and turns towards his neck,and run to the ponytail . At the ear you'll see another glob of metal part of the crack.
    Both cracks join below his ear.
    War year nickels are known for both varieties and issues with cracks/lamination .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Johnnie Black likes this.
  5. Johnnie Black

Do the cracks reduce value? Sorry for the newbie questions but I like this coin and just wanted to be sure before purchase.

6. Paddy54

Die cracks do not reduce value of a coin.is there a image of the reverse available to post?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. Paddy54

Now with rested eyes and enlarging the image ,I see 3 die cracks. 1 that runs from the corner of Jefferson's mouth up the cheek line. Then east to the angle of the Jaw.
    2 starts at the last "T" in trust down behind the eye orbit.
    This crack runs down the hair line to the ear. In the hair you can see metal that is raised above the crack. These two cracks links up at the angle of the mandible , continue east in the neck, they go NE along the back of the head then turn east and exit between the "TY" in Liberty to the rim.
    Since the area in question is a central point where all the cracks link up I believe that this is part of the cracks in the die.
    You may wish to take a look at cudoncoins.com website for more information on bisected die cracks,and die cracks in general.

Fallguy and Johnnie Black like this.
  8. Johnnie Black

Yes hopefully this is clear enough.
    [​IMG]

9. Paddy54

Nice coin I like it . ...from your image can't tell if it's FS. Looks good though .

10. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Paddy54, just to be clear, are you saying it would not be considered a FS because of the, what I would call, "smoothed" area around the third step left side ?

11. Paddy54

No what I said was the image of the steps isn't clear enough to make a call on this specimen . Depending on the price I would roll the dice on it though .

12. Johnnie Black

It's bidding at $49 and claiming full steps though images are difficult to tell completely.

13. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

If it's any reasonable price, I'd jump on it. No a true "War" Nickel as the 42 D was not struck from the silver composition planchet. 2nd lowest mintage of the 40's, very clean looking and, deferring to those with good eyes, a pretty nice die crack(s) . . . Get It! But then I like Jeffersons:). Semper Fidelis

Johnnie Black and Paddy54 like this.
  14. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Possible FS, maybe MS65 and up . . . I'd go to 60 if those were case, but then that's me; and like I said I really like Jeffersons:):):). Semper Fidelis

Johnnie Black and Paddy54 like this.
  15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Paddy is correct. Looks like some faint die cracks all over the obverse.

16. Paddy54

I still like the coin no matter what, at the right price it's a good find.
    I also be willing to bet that there a bisected rim to rim die crack.
    You would need it in hand to confirm but I'm seeing areas that could be very thin cracks.
    I'll say it's a 65 FS but wouldn't be surprised if it went 66.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Johnnie Black and Fallguy like this.
  17. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Truly like the this "thread" as an example of what is still "Great": A person needs assistance; Others step forward and offer thoughtful aid from various perspectives, and; best of all, this all occurs under a "free will" paradigm . . . and produces what we once called a "Win-Win" for all. Not hard to do, and certainly adds a nice glow to dark nights. Semper Fidelis to All

PS: So did you get the little beauty:):):)

bear32211, Johnnie Black and Paddy54 like this.
  18. Paddy54

I saw it still at $49 30 minutes before it closed....then I went to bed. So I imagine he did get the coin. I hope he did,as it was one of the nicest ones listed. Nice color,die cracks...full steps.
    Good eye on a nice coin....post some pictures once you have it in hand.

Johnnie Black and Fallguy like this.
  19. Johnnie Black

Haha, yes I did nab it! Thank you for your help and all of the helpful comments from everyone else. I had been looking for a nice, raw 42 D nickel and this one was the most appealing I could find. I wouldn't have gone for it without the thoughtful opinions of Paddy54, Insider, and Fallguy. :)

Fallguy, bear32211 and Paddy54 like this.
  20. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Terrific!!! Looks like a very solid coin and, with the added value of what sounds like some interesting die cracks; sometimes hard to find either (solid or DCs), so it's really nifty to get both in one coin! Really hope that you might be able to follow-up with some good pics after you get the Jefferson in-hand. Thanks for the POB, and as I think I've already indicated, everyone in this thread deserves a Pat, including yourself; you didn't just post and run, you appeared to keep your eye on the ball the whole time. So I'll thank everybody if for nothing more than the flow of the overall exchanges made me feel good about my fellow travelers:) Semper Fidelis

Draft saved Draft deleted