Scrappy, rough, porous, misattributed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jan 8, 2019.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

This was purchased alongside another couple of coins for very small price (about a quarter of the cheapest example I could see on VCoins). The dealer had it labelled as Macrinus and didn't recognise it as the Usurper Macrianus.

I know it's scrappy, rough and porous but I simply couldn't leave it lying there even though I don't chase after these usurpers.

Macrianus - Antoninianus - RIC 11

Obv:– IMP C FVL MACRIANVS AVG, radiate & cuirassed bust facing right
    Rev:– ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated left, holding victory
    Minted in Samosata. A.D. 260 - 261
    Reference:– RIC 11

[​IMG]

Share your mis-attributed finds....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Lucky, would it be to much to ask for you to tell how much you got it for?

4. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Good catch.

"Claudius"

027.JPG

dlhill132, Macrianus, dadams and 6 others like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice find, Maridvnvm - a while back this was mis-attributed AE, said to be a Commodus as, came up on eBay. It is a hard-to-photo coin, but I was pretty sure it was not Commodus before I bid (the portrait's all wrong, even for a Provincial), but I thought it looked interesting and thought it would give me something to research.

It is from Rhesaena, an issue for Herennius Etruscus showing the priest plowing with oxen. Rough, but pretty scarce.

[​IMG]

Herennius Etruscus Æ 25
    Rhesaena, Mesopotamia
    (c. 249-251 A.D.)

Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, [ΓAIMEΣ]EPETPOYΣKI[ΛΛIOΣ ΔEKIOΣΣEB] / CEΠ KOΛ ΡHCAINHCIΩN L III P, founder ploughing right with yoke of oxen, eagle above standing left on palm branch, holding wreath in beak, half figure of river god Chaboras swimming right in exergue.
    RPC 1593; Castelin 178-80.
    (12.25 grams / 25 mm)

7. Marsyas Mike

Actually, my first coin of 2019 was somewhat misattributed. This was a $10 "buy it now" on eBay listed as Macedonia, Pella. The legend didn't quite match and I discovered it was issued by a Roman Quaester Gaius Publilius Tamios, soon after the Romans annexed Macedonia.

Coin Talk was very helpful in attributing this, especially John Anthony's post from a while back: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ae...nce-gaius-publius-tamios.272354/#post-2335460 (Thank you, John!)

Not a beautiful specimen, but from what I've seen, considerably scarcer than the usual Pella issues:

Macedonia - Rom. Prov. AE Jan 2019.jpg

Macedonia, Bottiaia District
    Roman Province Æ 18
    Gaius Publilius Tamios,
    Quaestor (c. 168-166 BC)
    Macedonian mint

Helmeted head of Athena right / ΓΑΙΟΥ ΤΑ[ΜΙΟΥ]; Cow standing right; monogram TB beneath.
    SNG Cop 1322; AMNG 210.
    (9.40 grams / 18 mm)

dlhill132, Macrianus, dadams and 4 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have shown these before, however here are a couple misattributes from the Roman Republic:

This was a surprise, as I was going after a very early 211 BCE Post-Reform Denarius as Crawford 44/5.

@red_spork pointed out that this was actually Crawford 68/1b, a very hard-to-get Sicily issue...
    The Sicily issues had a very odd but distinct downward pointing crest-horn on the back of the helmet:
    upload_2019-1-9_10-17-7.png
    RR Anon AR denarius Roma 211-206 BCE ROMA incus Dioscuri single horn-helmet Sear-- Craw 68/1b SICILY ISSUE RARE was cr 44-5
    upload_2019-1-9_10-36-13.png
    downward pointing crest-horn

Gee, Ollie, I messed up AGAIN!

I was going after the Quinarius from the Post-Denarius Reform after 211, and it was misattributed as Crawford 44/6 from the Clain-Stefanelli Collection. Again, it is rightly re-attributed as part of the Crawford 68/2b series minted in Sicily.
    upload_2019-1-9_10-38-49.png
    RR Anon after 211 BCE AR Quinarius 2.12g Helmeted hd Roma - Dioscuri riding Cr 68-2b was 44-6 RSC 3 ex Clain-Stefanelli RARE
    upload_2019-1-9_10-43-54.png
    downward pointing crest-horn

I respectfully submit that this was a bit embarrassing to have them called out to be reattributed. I really missed the downward pointed crest-horn on both of them. However, they moved from a more common(?) issue to RARE issues... nice mistake to make.

upload_2019-1-9_10-44-48.png

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

This one was sold to me as Galerius. But it is not Galerius - it's Maximin Daia. Presumably the seller saw GAL and thought it was Galerius. Whereas we all know that distinguishing some of the tetrarchic legends can be a bit confusing.

maximinus3.jpg

maximinus4.jpg

10. Marsyas Mike

Actually, I buy misattributed coins all the time off eBay - it is a way to find good stuff cheap. At least it seems like good stuff to me.

Here is a somewhat scarce (?) Constantius I Chlorus (father of Constantine the Great) as Augustus (he wasn't Augustus for very long - 305-306 A.D.). It was listed as: "Roman 200-373 AD Bronze AE3/4 RNDM Attributable Roman Coin"

It is one of my favorite LRBs - the green deposits (which are rock-hard and apparently stable) add to its appeal (many will disagree, I'm sure):

Constantine Chlorus as Aug Aug 2018 (3).JPG

Here is my attribution (corrections always welcome - my LRB skills are iffy):

Constantius I Chlorus as Augustus
    (struck by Maximinus Daia)
    Æ Post-reform radiate
    (305-306 A.D.) Alexandria

IMP C CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped, cuir. bust rt. / CONCORDIA MILITVM, Constantius r. receiving Victory from Jupiter l., Δ /ALE.
    RIC VI Alexandria 59a.
    (3.68 grams / 20 mm)

11. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Don't feel too bad, these anonymous RR denarii and fractions are very often misattributed even by the pros. I won a beautiful quinarius at Triton this morning that was misattributed actually but I'll save that one for when the coin shows up.

Orange Julius, Alegandron and dadams like this.
  12. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

What a coincidence! I kept this bronze coin of Herennius Etruscus one year without finding any similar match for the same Emperor. In fact, the founder who looks completely like a priest is plowing Left. Hope it is published. And then I heard that the plowing scene was also a religious or sacred ceremony for the Phoenician people, hence the intervention of river god to water the grains and ensure life for the present and future generations . Herennius O PlowSc L.jpg Heren R          Plowing scen.JPG Hereni O       Plow HLeft.JPG

13. Marsyas Mike

Coool coin - you might check out my original post tacked on to an even older post of John Anthony's - it is sort of lost in "World Coins" section..

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/s-alexander-rhesaena-ae26.238154/#post-3236287

Macrianus likes this.
  14. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here's another coin from Rhesaena. It was struck under Trajan Decius. Reverse shows Tyche pouring liquid onto a lighted altar. Eagle on a palm tree before Tyche.
    Also palm trees in right and left fields. BMC 24. Decius O          BMC 24.JPG Decius Tr R     Rhesaena.JPG

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Really anxious to see your winnings!

And I really appreciate you watching my back!

Macrianus and Orfew like this.
  16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is an example for Domitian. A previous seller had it as RIC 921, a very common coin. However, the obverse legend is different on my coin. It is in fact RIC 922 (R2) a very scarce coin.

I love this coin for the unusual obverse portrait.

Check out the provenance, I am sure you will recognize the name of the previous owner.

Domitian as Caesar
    AR Denarius
    3.10 g
    Obv: CAES AUG F Domitianus; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r
    Rev: COS IIII, Pegasus standing r
    RIC 922 (R2)
    Aquired from Kolner May 2018
    Ex: David Atherton collection

Coin depicted on the Wild Winds database
    Domitian RIC 922 small.jpeg

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite misidentified coin is only that because it comes in plastic. Admittedly finding a misidentified slab from a worthwhile compan would be better but, slabbed or not, you need to read every letter,
    Constantius II not Constantine.
    rx6253sl2944.jpg

18. Macrianus

Macrianus Member

Hi! One of my best findings is this sesterce of Gordianus II. It was misidentified as Gordianus III. It is very rough and porous, but it still one of my favourite coins.

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AFR AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right / ROMA AETERNAE.

4e1a2172-4f77-4740-bcdd-7e0548057c8e.jpg

03b56053-335d-4504-b5c6-ec97caf637b6.jpg Captura.JPG

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Finding a misattributed coin-- especially when the actual coin is rare and desirable, is such a satisfying moment! Congratulations, everyone, for these nice pickups!

Welcome to CoinTalk, @Macrianus-- what a score!

7Calbrey likes this.
  20. Macrianus

Macrianus Member

Many thanks TIF! It is pleasure to be here!

Pellinore and TIF like this.
  21. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Since the Rhaesana coins of the House of Decius seem to be thick on the ground in this misattributed-coin thread, Here's one which wasn't attributed at all when I found it, so I guess that sort of qualifies it to be here too:
    [​IMG]
    Mesopotamia, Rhesana, Trajan Decius, 249-251 A.D.
    AE 21mm, 6.46g, 10h.
    Obv: [ΑΥΤ Κ Γ Μ ΚΥ Τ]ΡΑ ΔEKIOC CЄB laureate head right.
    Rx: [CEP CO]Λ PHCAINωN Λ III Π two turreted veiled and draped busts of Tyche confronted, standard topped with eagle; below, small altar (mostly off-flan) between
    RPC IX 1600.

Draft saved Draft deleted