Science Project!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mkm5, Feb 24, 2021.

  1. Mkm5

    Mkm5 Well-Known Member

    Probably mid 70s, not sure where I got the acid from!

    IMG_20210224_115523.jpg IMG_20210224_115624.jpg IMG_20210224_115603.jpg
    -jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

    DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

  4. scottishmoney

    scottishmoney Unwell Unknown Unmembered Supporter

    Sure it wasn't 1982 when people were trying to deplate the copper plated Zincolns?
  5. DarkRage666

    DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

    The OP said they did it
  6. Mkm5

    Mkm5 Well-Known Member

    It's 0.55mm thin!
  7. kanga

    kanga 65 Year Collector Supporter

    Whatever you do, DON'T put copper in nitric acid.
    That creates a toxic gas.
    1stSgt22, Mkm5 and DarkRage666 like this.
  8. DarkRage666

    DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

    Okay I'll be right back
  9. -jeffB

    -jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

    Yeah, but you can make toxic gases with lots of things that are easier to get than nitric acid. ;)

    (The one time that I had to tell my parents "don't go in the basement" was after an... excursion with nitric acid making nitrogen dioxide. I don't remember if it was a metal or a paper product that I was trying to digest when things got out of hand.)
    Mkm5 likes this.
  10. Mkm5

    Mkm5 Well-Known Member

    Now I'm wondering what kind of acid it was. I don't recall having access to Nitric Acid, but Sulphuric was readily available, along with Hydrochloric.

    I don't think I did this at home, probably a chemistry class stunt!
  11. Mkm5

    Mkm5 Well-Known Member

    I also had acid I used for etching circuit boards, but I think that stuff was pretty mild. Got it with a Heathkit Electronics set for making homemade radios at 12 years old!
  12. kanga

    kanga 65 Year Collector Supporter

    I found that out about 1959/60 in college chemistry class.
    There were lots of reagents sitting out for our use including concentrated nitric acid.
    When I walked into the lab the room was beginning to fill with a transparent brown gas.
    NOTE: I wasn't the cause.
  13. Mkm5

    Mkm5 Well-Known Member

  14. manny9655

    manny9655 Well-Known Member

    You're referring to ferric chloride. In our hobby, it's called Nic-A-Date. It's the same stuff!
    -jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page