Schuler Advertising Token

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FredJB, Dec 12, 2014.

1. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Schuler448.jpg Schuler449.jpg Schuler Advertising Token
    Recently a bronze German advertising token surfaced on the net. The attractive 38 mm token was issued at the 1902 Dusseldorf Exhibition by the Schuler Machine Company of Goppingen Germany. The obverse shows an allegorical woman with two young industrial arts students within the legend “AUSSTELLUNG DUSSELDORF 1902.”
    The center of the reverse is inscribed “L. SCHULER MASCHINENFABRIK GOPPINGEN WURTT.” within the legend “PAVILLON SCHEIBENSTRASSE.”
    What makes this token significant is that the Schuler company is one of the leading manufacturers of coining presses in the world. Their machines can be found in most world mints including the U.S. Mint. The company was founded in 1839. In the 1850’s they started designing and producing metal stamping machines. By 1870 they were manufacturing coin presses for the German and some other European mints. In 1895 the Schuler company provided the Chinese mints with their first coin presses. Today the company is stronger than ever boasting 5500 employees.

longnine009, chrsmat71 and chrisild like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Nice token, great city. ;) The Düsseldorf "Industrie- und Gewerbeausstellung" (Industry and Commerce Exhibition) in 1902 was modeled after the Paris 1900 World's Fair. Today Schuler is part of the Andritz Group, but they still make coin presses in Göppingen.

Christian

4. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris. I liked D'dorf too. Last time I was there we took a boat tour on the Rhine and shared a table with some Japanese fellows who spoke English but not German. I ended up translating the German to English for them

chrisild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted